1997-12-28 - The Anonymizer and IRC

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 3391e77604b206713464f8952a9d60620cbbe25bd475f71b45e650add42e7c0c
Message ID: <199712281825.TAA04672@basement.replay.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 02:30:41 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 02:30:41 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: The Anonymizer and IRC

The Anonymizer does in fact only provide restricted access by http and NO
IRC.
For instance, the Anonymizer blocks Dejanews, Hotmail and mailto.cgi forms.
I could understand that they block sites that explicitly request to be
blocked to prevent abuse.
But what if I want to make a mailto.cgi or IRC script available by http.
Should people be disallowed from accessing this through The Anonymizer
even if I do not request it?
It should at least be possible to allow access to such scripts for The
paid accounts.
If they keep logs in case of a U. S. law violation, I see no problem of
liability arosing from such access.
They have also restricted their shell access for which you pay US $ 7 per
moth to IRC.
Does that sound more reasonable than blocking the nntp port?
Does anyone know other ISPs who provide privacy and do not block
abitrarily without _prior request_ from the site in question?
A private interest can do anything, but anyway.