1997-12-04 - Re: Censorial leftists (Was: Interesting article)

Header Data

From: tom <tom@Empire.Net>
To: whgiii@invweb.net (William H. Geiger III)
Message Hash: 51122833ad87e16bd7d0d90b0c895e29ff20236b02083826148b2a161a89a273
Message ID: <199712041316.IAA18769@Empire.Net>
Reply To: <199712041305.IAA30177@users.invweb.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-04 13:28:16 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 21:28:16 +0800

Raw message

From: tom <tom@Empire.Net>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 21:28:16 +0800
To: whgiii@invweb.net (William H. Geiger III)
Subject: Re: Censorial leftists (Was: Interesting article)

William H. Geiger II writes:

> In <1.5.4.32.19971204114530.006ef8dc@idt.net>, on 12/04/97
>    at 06:45 AM, Jay Holovacs <holovacs@idt.net> said:
>

> >At 05:16 PM 12/3/97 -0800, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>

> >>Libertarians are self-governors in both personal and economic matters.
> >>They believe government's only purpose is to protect people from coercion
> >>and violence.  They value individual responsibility, and tolerate economic
> >>and social diversity.
> >>

> >Interestingly, New Jersey's recent Libertarian candidate (Sabrin) lost my
> >wife's vote when his own ads portrayed him as anti choice.
>
> <sigh> Do I really want to start this thread up ....
>
> An intriguing selection of NewSpeak being used here. The forcible ending
> of another humans life is wrong (add in the standard caveats for
> self-defence). When it is a planed event it is called Murder. No society
> in the history of mankind has permitted unrestricted murder of fellow
> members of society on such superficial excuses of inconvenience.
>
> To call this murder "choice" just doesn't pass the straight face test. It
> is on the same level as calling what the Germans did to the Jews "choice".
>
> >Several members of the religious right also call themselves libertarians.
>
> >Sometimes what is meant is freedom from interference in the market rather
> >than real freedom.
>
> While such superficial labeling may make it easier for you and your wife
> to sleep at night it has nothing to do with the issue at hand. This is
> neither a religious issue nor a left-right issue any more than theft is.
>
> Nothing inconsistent with being a Libertarian and anti Murder.

Semantics.

When does a piece of tissue become a human being? When is it a 'life'?

First define your terms. Then talk about murder.

Tom

--
 Tom Gillman, Unix/AIX/Solaris/IRIX    |"Personally, I have always found the
 Administrator-type Weenie For Hire    |First Amendment to be a little irksome

Thread