1997-12-08 - Re: A Pretty Good Story, from The Netly News

Header Data

From: Clyde Williamson <clydew@ee.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5ab3e031d50e16bd70584380ba13045c498596ad74a4931cb7bd89463e6dc35a
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19971208181548.00693ca0@ee.net>
Reply To: <v03007801b0b1d87965eb@[204.254.22.9]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-08 23:10:54 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 07:10:54 +0800

Raw message

From: Clyde Williamson <clydew@ee.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 07:10:54 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: A Pretty Good Story, from The Netly News

Well, I guess we can call off the hit on Zimmermann... hehehe.

BTW- Is there any way to create keys on PGP 5.0 besides the Diffe-
Hellman alg.?

>*********
>
>http://cgi.pathfinder.com/netly/opinion/0,1042,1617,00.html
>
>The Netly News Network (http://netlynews.com/)
>December 8, 1997
>
>A Pretty Good Story
>by Declan McCullagh (declan@well.com)
>
>        Phil Zimmermann had it easy fighting the U.S. government: At
>   least everyone else was on his side. Today the legendary
cryptographer
>   and founder of Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) is finding that his
latest
>   adversaries are just as determined but much more diverse.
>
>       Earlier this fall PGP drew fire for releasing PGP 5.5 with a
>   so-called "message recovery" feature that a corporation could
require
>   users to turn on to let the boss read their e-mail. Then, when
McAfee
>   Associates announced last week it would buy PGP, formerly
supportive
>   privacy advocates screamed that the company's new owners were
part of
>   the "Key Recovery Alliance," a group of firms devoted to
producing
>   data-scrambling software easily snoopable by the government.
>
>        Now the complaining may stop, at least for a while. The
>   McAfee-PGP combo, called Network Associates, has dropped out of
the
>   alliance. "I never would have allowed my own company to join the
Key
>   Recovery Alliance," Zimmermann told me yesterday. "As soon as I
found
>   out about McAfee being a member, I tried to do something about
it."

>[...]

Clyde Williamson
PGP Public Key found at http://users1.ee.net/clydew/pgp.htm

"My uncle always said that there was more
than one way to skin a cat....
I guess that explains the fur pants."

Thread