1997-12-05 - Re: SynData/Schneier Attack Network Associates

Header Data

From: Wesley Griffin <wgriffin@enslaved.student.umd.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 80ee25094a7eae35e749c0ff009691bc7961a717fa101f9661541d0454f757ff
Message ID: <199712052053.PAA14508@enslaved.student.umd.edu>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19971205122651.007cae60@fast.synernet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-05 21:11:03 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 05:11:03 +0800

Raw message

From: Wesley Griffin <wgriffin@enslaved.student.umd.edu>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 05:11:03 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: SynData/Schneier Attack Network Associates

> At 11:42 AM 12/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
> > "The government's key recovery program is a complete violation of the
> > individual's right to privacy and, in fact, compromises of the system are
> > already taking place. This shows that key escrow is an untenable policy,"
> > said Bruce Schneier, one of the world's leading authorities on encryption
> > and author of the book "Applied Cryptography". "SynData is paving the
> > way for other software developers by taking a stand in opposition to the
> > government and companies like Network Associates."
>

> By "companies like Network Associates", do you mean "companies who are
> members of the Key Recovery Alliance" (http://www.kra.org)? If so, here are
> the "companies like Network Associates", in that regard:  [Note RSA is a
> Charter Member]

This statement is seriously confusing Key Recovery and Key Escrow.  They are
NOT the same thing.  Everybody knows what Key *Escrow* is and that it sucks.
Key Recovery is *very* different in that are no databases kept of private keys.
The website you mentioned (http://www.kra.org) contains some very good info on
how Key Recovery works.  I would like to see the source of Schneier's quote
also, because I can't believe he could get the two confused.

Wes Griffin
wgriffin@glue.umd.edu

Thread