1997-12-06 - Mises and Batman

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 8474e4eeffc639d5d4455c9dcb0c0c453deaca70a483f4a4d6b7fac9a258c492
Message ID: <v04002717b0af439f9400@[204.134.5.16]>
Raw Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 03:40:44 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 03:40:44 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Mises and Batman

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 12:46:31 -0800
to: misesmail@colossus.net
from: news@mises.org
subject: Mises and Batman
Sender: owner-misesmail@colossus.net

This has to be a first in the history of the Austrian School. The
new issue of THE BATMAN CHRONICLES, a quarterly, features "Berlin
Batman," a story revolving around the Nazi confiscation of Ludwig von
Mises's papers from his Vienna apartment in 1938. Batman attempts to
rescue the papers from a German government train, and says of Mises,
"I once met him, and I've read his work. He's a brave man to oppose
the party in these barren times." Batman sees in Mises a comrade in
arms.

We won't give away the ending, but in a recap at the end of story,
there are excerpts from Robin's 1998 "unpublished" "memoirs of the
Batman": "Ludwig von Mises escaped to the United States when the
Nazis ransacked his apartment in 1938. It was his landlady, a friend
of his mother's, who told the authorities Von Mises was working on
a new book which challenged Nazi social and economic policies. They
slowed him down, but they couldn't stop him. He continued work on a
book which was eventually published in '49, called 'Human Action',
now considered one of the great libertarian works of our times."

There is much more, and it is all beautifully drawn and written by
Paul Pope. It is available at comic book stands everywhere. The price
is $2.95.

Cheers to D.C. Comics (1700 Broadway, New York, NY 10019)!

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/
Ask me about FC98 in Anguilla!: <http://www.fc98.ai/>

Thread