1997-12-23 - Re: Freedom Forum report on the State of the First Amendment

Header Data

From: The Sheriff <sheriff@speakeasy.org>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 96c98db50298ccd4631361229da6fe3ef1bed9890c29eb4c1d390c2d9a6e7cf9
Message ID: <l03020902b0c450fe1f1a@[209.130.130.25]>
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 18:33:56 +0800

Raw message

From: The Sheriff <sheriff@speakeasy.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 18:33:56 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Freedom Forum report on the State of the First Amendment

>Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 15:23:23 -0400
>To: David Honig <honig@otc.net>
>From: The Sheriff <sheriff@speakeasy.org>
>Subject: Re: Freedom Forum report on the State of the First Amendment
>Bcc:
>>Marc, you have declared how far you take freedom: you apparently
>>believe it is proper for the government to intervene in private hiring
>>decisions.  Unfortunately many americans believe this intrusion is justified.
>
>I have to admit, at first I agreed with Marc, until I thought
>about it for a minute.  After all, to leave a people free is not
>to leave them in chaos -- freedom comes with responsibility,
>period.  It doesn't have to be levied by a governmental body --
>there will allways be consequences when a free man makes a choice
>or takes action in some way, be they good consequences or bad.
>
>After all, if the majority of the population of a free society
>didn't have a problem with homosexuals, and yet Employer X fired
>people because they were homosexual or friends with someone who
>was, I get the sneaking suspicion that one of two things would
>happen:
>
>1) Employer X's work force would eventually evaporate.
>
>2) Those who stuck with Employer X might soon find that
>   their boss doesn't discriminate solely against gays.
>
>In considering the position that employers have every right to
>fire for whatever reason, I have decided that the firing of an
>employee -- for whatever reason -- is, in itself, a form of
>speech.  "In terminating your employment and having you escorted
>off the premesis effective immediately, we here at Corp X are
>saying that all faggots suck."
>
>As such, who is to say that Employer X should be punished for
>his views?  Americans don't have a RIGHT to employment.  That's
>why people take their future into their own hands and become their
>own employers, right?

Best wishes and fresh-roasted peanut taste,
The Sheriff. -- ***<REPLY TO: sheriff@speakeasy.org>***
- ---
As kinky as it sounds, finger me to see my PGP key and
confirm the signature attached to this message.
- ---
Any and all SPAM will be met with immediate prosecutory
efforts.  Solicitations are NOT welcome here!
- ---