1997-12-01 - Re: Pasting in From:

Header Data

From: Anonymous <anon@anon.efga.org>
To: mail2news@basement.replay.com
Message Hash: 99580e850276b4bf54a7592ee7b3cbb1fdfbaa20ebd4e14b66f9ed9953e45aa1
Message ID: <3eed4fe6512e0a478e3afd83b7b3d240@anonymous.poster>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.94.971130135656.6085F-100000@neptune.chem.uga.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-01 04:18:21 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 12:18:21 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <anon@anon.efga.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 12:18:21 +0800
To: mail2news@basement.replay.com
Subject: Re: Pasting in From:

no@no.spam ((r)Old Crab(r)) wrote:

> >Andy Dustman wrote on Sun, 30 Nov 1997 14:03:39 -0500:
> >
> >>So, I propose a compromise: What if I enable pasting of From:, but if a
> >>From: header is pasted in, a short disclaimer is added to the beginning of
> >>the body of the message. Would that mess anyone up? I think this would be
> >>sufficient to avoid most problems with "forging".
> >
> >Can't put the disclaimer in a Comments: header?
>
> Why make a test ???
> Put the disclaimer *every_time*.
> People who want to authenticate their nym account have the thing
> signed by the nym-server...
> That if you consider that it is not *obvious* to everybody
> that the "From:" from a remailer might be fake...
> That BTW *any* "From:", from remailer or from anywhere;
> might be fake...
> Only PGP or such allows to be easily sure of the sender.....

That's absolutely correct.  That disclaimer should be implicit with
EVERY post.  Attaching it to anonymous posts, while technically
correct, gives the false implication that posts without such
disclaimers should be presumed to be genuine.  That's a dangerous
assumption.

Anyone who wants to post an article with a phony From: address can
do it far easier with a throwaway ISP account and news posting
software that can be configured with an arbitrary From: address
than going to the trouble of doing it through a remailer.

Could it be that the enemies of privacy and freedom, if they can't
ban anonymous posting altogether (at least not right now), would
like to make sure that anonymous posts are stigmatized with the
cyber equivalent of a yellow star?  If some control freaks are to be
believed, the only people who post anonymously are either "abusers",
"cowards", or otherwise have sinister motives for not promiscuously
broadcasting their names and addresses worldwide with every post.

My theory is that what really galls them is that the precursor to
the U.S. Constitution which guarantees freedom of speech (including
anonymous speech) was the ANONYMOUSLY PUBLISHED "Federalist Papers",
and they want to make sure it doesn't happen again. <g>

> That *everybody* knows that should be controlled
> when one getting a Usenet licenceá :-))

Don't give the Usenet control freaks any ideas!  <g>

Thread