1997-12-21 - RE: ECB, CBC, CFB, OFB

Header Data

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
To: “Johnson, Michael P (Mike)” <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM>
Message Hash: aeeaac8469516a3dbd53c60ab22362ada7b337c187186b2eb23380060246398c
Message ID: <v03110768b0c265a36289@[207.94.249.114]>
Reply To: <c=US%a=_%p=Stortek%l=LSV-MSG06-971221014643Z-85371@lsv-bridge.stortek.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-21 07:28:21 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 15:28:21 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 15:28:21 +0800
To: "Johnson, Michael P (Mike)" <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM>
Subject: RE: ECB, CBC, CFB, OFB

At 5:46 PM -0800 12/20/97, Johnson, Michael P (Mike) wrote:
>>Somebody asked:
>>>Can somebody more experienced than I am explain the strengths and weaknesses
>>>of these encryption modes as applied to CAST, IDEA, DES, and Blowfish?
>>
>>>              ecb    Electronic codebook mode
>>>                     c[i] = f1(K, p[i])
>>>                     p[i] = f2(K, c[i])
>
>This is the weakest mode. Patterns in the plain text tend to cause
>repeated blocks in the output, causing some information leakage. This
>mode is really only suitable if you have exactly one block or less to
>encrypt or if random access at the block level is critical. An error in
>the ciphertext or plaintext only affects one block, as long as bit count
>integrity is maintained.

It should be point out that ECB is also subject to some spoofing attacks.
Blocks from one message encoded with a particular key can be substituted
for blocks in a different message encoded with the same key.  In a banking
system, this attack might allow the attacker to change the transaction
amounts.

With any mode, encypherment is not a substitute for a message
authentication code.

Bill Frantz       | One party wants to control | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | what you do in the bedroom,| 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | the other in the boardroom.| Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread