1997-12-04 - Borders books, was Re:

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <schear@lvdi.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: cbe5c0375d77bb793bfb3b444cc882fb942eecf8f91356552ef969ef3d7d9f16
Message ID: <v03102803b0ac9a6ce515@[208.129.55.202]>
Reply To: <199712040732.XAA14714@sirius.infonex.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-04 18:04:51 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 02:04:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <schear@lvdi.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 02:04:51 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Borders books, was Re:

At 11:32 PM -0800 12/3/1997, Mix wrote:
>www.borders.com: "Borders is opening new stores almost
>every week. If there's not one near you now, there will
>be soon."
>
>This is depressing. Something has to be done about
>"free"-market capitalism. It is as destructive as
>government, and built on the same lies.

Fortunately, this gives a significant price advantage to Web-based book stores, like Amazon.com, who can sell w/o adding state/local taxes.  In fact Amazon has sued Barns & Nobel for, I believe, unfair competition claiming they were not adding these taxes to their on-line book orders.  No doubt the major book sellers wishing to enter on-line sales will be looking for ways to avoid having to tax and the state attorneys general will be looking closely into enforcing their state sales and use taxes.

--Steve

Thread