1998-01-15 - Re: Public choice theory and the politics of antitrust

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 0d3ad18759d919996dd9bfa1ac3e29d25ae7eea357a97382210b2ea58a3a60de
Message ID: <v03007800b0e334ad308a@[168.161.105.216]>
Reply To: <v0300780eb0e309e2c6d8@[168.161.105.216]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-15 04:00:11 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 12:00:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 12:00:11 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Public choice theory and the politics of antitrust

Tim,

Keep in mind that each post came from a different author, with perhaps one
or two exceptions.

With regard to the names, I know of no formal list policy, law, or custom
that would stop me from forwarding with names attached. However, I thought
it might stifle discourse on a relatively intimate list if folks thought
their posts were blasted around the Net to thousands.

I was my judgment call, and I make no excuses. Take the ideas for what
they're worth.

-Declan

At 18:28 -0800 1/14/98, Tim May wrote:
>At 4:34 PM -0800 1/14/98, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>>I wrote a little about public choice theory and the politics of antitrust
>>in my article last week:
>>
>>  http://cgi.pathfinder.com/netly/opinion/0,1042,1678,00.html
>>
>>Attached are excerpts from recent posts to a law and economics mailing list
>>I'm on. I'm unsure of the reposting policy, so I'm deleting authors' names.
>>Should be good reading anyway.
>
>I think, Declan, that deleting the author's name is a Big Problem. I
>inititally assumed you wrote these words, and was preparing a rebuttal
>(esp. to the fanciful " Intel's Portland facility has 800 programmers
>charged with coming up with something as cool as the operating system
>developed by Next. Stay tuned." piece of nonsense.
>
>But then I went back and read your "deleting author's names" line, so now I
>have no idea who I'm rebutting.
>
>You have essentially made this author "Anonymous."
>
>A better approach is to ask his permission, for something substantive like
>this piece is, and then either post his words with his name, or not post it.
>
>--Tim May
>

>The Feds have shown their hand: they want a ban on domestic cryptography
>Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
>ComSec 3DES:   408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
>W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA  | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
>Higher Power: 2^2,976,221   | black markets, collapse of governments.
>"National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway."

Thread