1998-01-19 - movie “good will hunting”

Header Data

From: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 3b579d71846dc26fd485311f3bb1137f64d75e2e14c4090bbf5e4ad63ddca648
Message ID: <199801190440.UAA20828@netcom16.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:44:40 +0800

Raw message

From: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:44:40 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: movie "good will hunting"

highly recommend this movie, "good will hunting". excellent
script that will leave you startled at times. plot is that
a young kid from a very rough background who is a janitor
at MIT seems to be a math genius possibly on the level
of Ramanujan.

reason I am posting here: there's a really great rant by
the character at one point as he sits in an office with
an NSA rep and a medal-laced general and insults them about
a job offer in the agency to work under classified conditions.
the NSA rep offers him math research into state of the art
theory but requires that the work be classified. I think
there is a line about how the NSA has 7 times the budget
of the CIA but they don't like to make that well known.
(one might say it was sort of a rant on the morality of
confidentiality. <g>)

if anyone would care to tape this and post a transcript
I think it would be very interesting to other cpunks. its
a rare reference to NSA in the popular media.

of course not on the level of "sneakers" as far as
crypto references, but an interesting snippet nonetheless,
and I think that some people here might identify a lot with
the protagonist.

Thread