1998-01-24 - Re: Sucking Sound…

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart@pobox.com>
To: Tim May <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 4599d15ab8bd14e7f3af122d303772f46b36e4fc0a8c7a1e7f76c6c632145622
Message ID: <3.0.5.32.19980124003505.008a8c70@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19980123083544.006a9088@popd.netcruiser>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-24 08:38:10 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 16:38:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 16:38:10 +0800
To: Tim May <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Sucking Sound...

At 06:30 PM 1/23/98 -0800, Tim May wrote:
>But I had been marveling at how the Clinton troubles were being ignored by
>the Cypherpunks...I figured we were all so jaded about government and the
>criminals who flourish in Washington that there was no point in commenting
>on this latest revelation of corruption. (The apparent perjury, suborning
>perjury, and witness-tampering, not the affair with Lewinsky, however
>tawdry it was.)

I was talking to Hugh yesterday, and he asked if I'd heard the big news
- no, not Clinton's sex scandal, the important news, about the
Netscape browser source code being freed :-)
(This was before the news on the Unabomber confession broke.)

>(Actually, I threw in an aside yesterday about "President Gore," but no one
>picked up on it.)

If the Democrats think Clinton's going down anyway, they're probably
better off having him resign now and give Gore a couple years in office,
since he'll probably be re-elected if the economy stays strong (probable)
and if the Republicans don't come up with a useful candidate (probable);
if he has to be Vice-Clinton for two more years, he's got minimal chance
of election even if the Republicans come out with another bozo,
because Gore will be more tainted and still just waterboy.

>Personally, I think having a crippled and ineffective President is better
>than having an activist bozo President Gore, so I'm kind of hoping this
>whole affairs takes several more months to unwind.

Yeah - especially since President Gore would have to start off by
Doing Something to get some positive momentum, and it would probably
be doing something bad to the Internet.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart@pobox.com