1998-01-06 - Re: Mobile phones used as trackers

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@invweb.net>
To: rittle@comm.mot.com
Message Hash: 48e462f165845d3c063159de344ad91839df9a24f1a6d246e436aec5f8db097b
Message ID: <199801061749.MAA16034@users.invweb.net>
Reply To: <199801061007.EAA28104@supra.rsch.comm.mot.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-06 17:45:57 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 01:45:57 +0800

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@invweb.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 01:45:57 +0800
To: rittle@comm.mot.com
Subject: Re: Mobile phones used as trackers

In <199801061007.EAA28104@supra.rsch.comm.mot.com>, on 01/06/98
   at 05:07 AM, "Loren J. Rittle" <rittle@supra.rsch.comm.mot.com> said:

>In article <199801012054.PAA25297@users.invweb.net>,
>"William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@invweb.net> writes:

>> It is my understanding that they can still track you with the cell phone
>> turned off so long as there is power going to the box (most auto cell
>> phones are hardwired into the cars electrical system).

>This is the funniest thing I have read in some time.  Assuming you watch
>the show, I think you may have watched too many episodes of the X-Files
>(TM).

The point I was trying to make, and you seemed to have missed, is that
just because you turn off the switch and the lights are not flashing and
blinking does not mean that power is not going to some of the circuits.

Take the following into account:

1) Location Tracking via Cell Phone is currently available using equipment
in place.

2) FCC mandates for Location tracking under the cover of 911 service

3) In field testing being done in several cities.

4) Lojack systems in place in several cities.

5) Systems in development for continuous traffic monitoring in the major
cities for automated traffic management to address the problems of "rush
hour" traffic.

6) GPS systems being built into productions vehicles at the factory.

It seems only natural to merge these into one piece of equipment using one
communication infrastructure. I think that if you take a closer look at
where various technologies and regulations are going to see that this is
less "X-File" like than you may think.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html