1998-01-08 - Journalism and the Internet conference at Freedom Forum

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 7071988bfe9033ec6d4de78f410a4cf37900874f6e6edabe92e272e011b0406e
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.980108095459.10517F-100000@well.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 03:01:54 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 03:01:54 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Journalism and the Internet conference at Freedom Forum

Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 10:48:22 -0500
From: Adam Powell <apowell@freedomforum.org>
Subject: Journalism/Internet conf webcast

Tomorrow's "Journalism and the Internet" conference will be webcast
in its entirety, so those who cannot join us in person will be able
to join sessions on line. Webcast listeners will also be able to
submit questions and comments via e-mail for panelists during the webcast.

Below is the schedule (all times EST):

"Journalism and the Internet" conference
Rooftop Conference Center
The Freedom Forum
1101 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, Virginia 22209

8:30 a.m. -- Welcome and introduction
Charles Overby, The Freedom Forum; Richard Sammon, National Press Club
9 a.m. -- Keynote address
Speaker: Steve Case, America Online
Moderator: Adam Powell
9:45 a.m. -- "Where are we/How did we get here?"
Panelists: Llewellyn King, King Publishing; Sam Meddis, USA TODAY; Stephen
Miller, The New York Times; Marc Weiss, Web Development Fund
Moderator: Don Brown, QRadio
11 a.m. -- "Standards and ethics online"
Panelists: Rajiv Chandrasekaran, The Washington Post; Steven Levy,
Newsweek; John Markoff, The New York Times; Jai Singh, CNET
Moderator: Lee Thornton, University of Maryland
12:30 p.m. -- Luncheon program -- "Sports journalism online: Special case
or leading edge?"
Welcome: Peter Prichard, The Freedom Forum
Speaker: John Rawlings, The Sporting News
Moderator: Gene Policinski, The Freedom Forum
2:15 p.m. -- "Online journalism, governments and the First Amendment"
Panelists: Donna Demac, Georgetown University; Mike Godwin, Electronic
Frontier Foundation; Declan McCullagh, Netly News/Time magazine; Lynn
Povich, MSNBC
Moderator: Paul McMasters, The Freedom Forum
4 p.m. -- "Politics '98 online"
Panelists: Farai Chideya, ABC News; Kathleen deLaski, America Online; Mike
Riley, CNN/Time's AllPolitics; Omar Wasow, MSNBC
Moderator: Robert Merry, Congressional Quarterly

Newseum Broadcast Studio
The Newseum
1101 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, Virginia 22209

1 p.m. -- "Journalism and the Internet" public program
Journalist of the Day: John Markoff, The New York Times

***

We will also have live webcasts of the Saturday programs:

Newseum Broadcast Studio
The Newseum
1101 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, Virginia 22209

1 p.m. -- "Journalism and the Internet" public program
Journalist of the Day: Jai Singh, CNET

2:30 p.m. -- "Journalism and the Internet" public program
Technology demonstration:
John Pavlik, Center for New Media, Columbia University
Benjamin Davis, MSNBC
Steve Geimann, Society of Professional Journalists
Lisa Napoli, New York Times

***

Adam Clayton Powell, III
Vice President, Technology and Programs, The Freedom Forum
703-284-3553 fax 703-284-2879
apowell@freedomforum.org
apowell@alum.mit.edu
http://www.freedomforum.org/technology/welcome.asp