1998-01-22 - Re: Will bureaucrats turn the Net into TV? Note from FCC

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Declan McCullagh <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 77b7102db9aa41dc3f7c6677c25ce3e2157accb8a4f7b38ba7f2a0e9a9575ef3
Message ID: <v03102800b0ec87778071@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.980121160005.2838D-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-22 05:27:07 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:27:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:27:07 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Will bureaucrats turn the Net into TV? Note from FCC

At 4:02 PM -0800 1/21/98, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>A note from an acquaintance formerly at the FCC. --Declan

Hey, this is what _I_ said.

>Those key elements[scarcity/license/obligation] are--for now--lacking in
>the on-line environment.  And while no doubt this or another

Yep, this was what I was saying.

>Administration, or wiley Congressional staffer could gin up a plausable
>nexus between the web and interstate commerce, sufficiient to sustain a
>new public interest obligation, I think we're two or three generations of
>bandwith scarcity away from that becoming a compelling element of a
>cyber-resource allocation scheme.

"Regulation of commerce" (which was, let us not forget, *interstate*
commerce, despite the recent extension into defining cloning as commerce,
growing peanuts as commerce, and painting pictures as commerce, etc.) is a
fundamentally different issue than allocation of scarce bandwidth.

Though Declan's source may be right that the burrowcrats will try to find a
reason to stick their fingers into the Net to regulate it (meaning,
rent-seeking), it won't be via the FCC. That will not fly.

I doubt that even President Gore will have the time this coming summer to
push for such foolish legislation.

--Tim May