1998-01-15 - Re: (eternity) Mailing List Archives

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Ryan Lackey <cypherpunks@ssz.com
Message Hash: 7e5e05ac5fc45c47c1f32b0e4e66a7688bc86450948d3fef82dffa38513c8e80
Message ID: <v03102803b0e41daa7eaa@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199801151939.OAA01030@the-great-machine.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-15 20:23:42 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:23:42 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:23:42 +0800
To: Ryan Lackey <cypherpunks@ssz.com

At 11:39 AM -0800 1/15/98, Ryan Lackey wrote:

>up on http://sof.mit.edu/eternity/mail-archive/
>
>The mailing list is host to discussion of the theoretical issues behind
>Eternity service, Blacknet, Adam Back's Eternity USENET implementation,
>and my forthcoming Eternity DDS implementation.
>
>(7 articles got lost from the archive while I was setting it up.  I sent
>them to itself as "missing articles 86-92".  I'll restore their
>original headers at some point.)

Thanks for doing this.

But I'll point out that I choose to continue to use the Cypherpunks list,
as I have since 1992, as the main forum for my own comments. If anyone
wants to read my stuff, they are encouraged to subscribe to the Cypherpunks
list.

I think list proliferation has gotten way, way out of hand. It seems that
any time a topic becomes hot, someone decides it needs its own mailing
list. Then, as it becomes not quite so hot, volumes drop off the radar
screen and the list essentially vanishes.

(Any besides me remember the lists devoted to DC Nets? The list "Digital
Anarchy"? The list "Digital Liberty"? The "Nym" list?)

We have a dozen or so lists all ostensibly covering much the same material,
such as Coderpunks, Cryptography, Fight-Censorship, PoliLaw (or somesuch),
e$spam, Remailer Operators, Eternity, and probably half a dozen others I
have no awareness of, or have forgotten here.

Worse, some of these are moderated.  (I make it a point not to subscribe to
moderated lists unless the reasons are compelling.)

--Tim May