1998-01-27 - RE: Announcement: RPK InvisiMail released on 12 Jan, 1998

Header Data

From: Jack Oswald <joswald@rpkusa.com>
To: “‘Bill Stewart’” <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: 9b707f2753c6d309bcacd490a959f60aa12a5eff5ebd7309c1885a81914f964a
Message ID: <01BD2A7C.342CBB60@joswald@rpkusa.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 09:17:06 +0800

Raw message

From: Jack Oswald <joswald@rpkusa.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 09:17:06 +0800
To: "'Bill Stewart'" <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: RE: Announcement: RPK InvisiMail released on 12 Jan, 1998

Bill - The technology that we export as part of RPK InvisiMail, is
world-class strong crypto.  Key size options are 607 bits and 1279.  The
math behind the system is based on the same as that of D-H.  There is no
snake oil.  There was no intentional or unintentional attempt to mislead
any government authority.  We also did not request an export license,
because there is no need to do so in New Zealand as long as the export is
by means of the Internet.  Peter G. knows this as well.  The story may be
different for physical export on disk, disc or tape, although we cannot
concur with Peter's personal experience.  Our experience is that we get
pretty good treatment from the NZ authorities.  We also may use a different
approach.  I have often heard that you can often get a better response when
using honey than vinegar.  Therein may explain differences in our
respective experiences.  I have personally met with the Minister of Trade
for New Zealand.  His views and those of his staff seemed to be acceptable
to us and have not imposed any undue restrictions of our business or our
ability to operate.

Jack Oswald
President and CEO
RPK Fast Public Key Encryption