1998-01-27 - future proofing algorithms

Header Data

From: “John Kelsey” <kelsey@plnet.net>
To: “Adam Back” <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Message Hash: cfe3acfd255349515e212b4b80e4076f77f7e0637756103e33ff9fea08586e9b
Message ID: <199801272251.QAA01965@email.plnet.net>
Raw Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 06:57:59 +0800

Raw message

From: "John Kelsey" <kelsey@plnet.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 06:57:59 +0800
To: "Adam Back" <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Subject: future proofing algorithms

[ To: Cypherpunks, Adam Back ## Date: 01/26/98 ##

>Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 01:18:31 GMT
>From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
>Subject: future proofing algorihtms (Re: (eternity) Eternity
>         as a secure filesystem/backup medium)

>It is interesting to note that Tim May's recent suggestion
>of LAM (Local Area Mixes) would help here because if 5 of
>those mixmaster nodes where part of a LAM, it is unlikely
>that the NSA would be able to archive inter remailer
>traffic, thus increasing effective pool size to 100^5.  So
>one advantage of the LAM approach is that it provides links
>which are protected by physical security.

This is a good point.  The crypto looks like the strongest
link in the chain right now, but if it turns out not to be,
reliance on local physical security isn't a bad idea.
(This works only if the huge numbers of the local machines
must be subverted for an attack to work; if the attacker has
to take over only a couple machines, he can probably manage
this.)  Discovering a better way to bypass my physical
security today doesn't let you know who sent what last year,
and security guards don't become retroactively twice as
cheap to bribe every eighteen months.

>> Note that, in practice, this isn't likely to be useful
>> unless you've done the same kind of thing for symmetric key
>> distribution, random number generation, etc.  Otherwise,
>> your attacker in 2050 will bypass the symmetric encryption
>> entirely and factor your RSA modulus, or guess all the
>> entropy sources used for your PRNG, or whatever else you can
>> think of.

>Yes.  We need to build constructs for all areas.  A mega
>hash would be nice, with a large output size even in the
>face of birthday attack, preferably as secure as a
>collection of hash functions.

Right.  I've seen some work done on this, mostly informally.
The basic result I'm aware of with hash functions is like
this:  Let f() and g() be two different hash functions,
such as SHA1 and RIPE-MD160.  Let X,Y be the concatenation
of X and Y.  Then:

Hash1(X) = f(X),g(X)
Hash2(X) = f(g(X)),g(f(X))

You can quickly convince yourself that Hash1(X) is at least
as resistant to collision as the stronger of f() and g(),
but it's only as resistant as the weaker of the two to
leaking information about X.  (That is, if f(X) just gives
you the low 160 bits of X, then Hash1(X) gives you the same
thing.)  Hash2() won't leak information unless both f()
and g() leak information about their inputs, but you can't
guarantee that it will be very good against collisions.
(That is, if f(X) = 0 for all X, then all possible X values
cause a collision in Hash2(X).)

If f() and g() are independent, and one of them
looks like a random function of X, then

Hash3(X) = f(X) XOR g(X)

looks pretty good.  But it's possible for either f() or g()
to be non-reversible without Hash3() being nonreversible.
(The obvious case occurs when you think of something like

f(X) = X
g(X) = encrypt_{knownKey}(X) XOR X.

Note that g() looks rather like some existing hash
functions, where encrypt() is a known function.

>That gives us something to wash our pseudo random number
>input entropy with, and then we can go on to combine public
>key systems.

Right.  Choosing the PRNG well is important, but I suspect
that the real issue is going to be getting enough input
entropy.  If you can get 80 bits of real entropy today, you
have a reasonably secure system now, but NSA may not find
your system that secure in twenty years.

For resistance to cryptanalysis, we can use the same set of
stream ciphers as before.  If we run Blowfish, 3DES, and
SAFER-SK128 in OFB-mode, and XOR the streams together, we
get an output stream that's no easier to predict than the
weakest of the three ciphers used.

Entropy collection on a wide range of different machines,
without specialized hardware, is just a hard thing to do
well.  It's especially hard if you're postulating a
massively powerful attacker years in the future.

>A problem with public key systems however is that there
>isn't a lot of choice -- basically all based on discrete log
>or factoring.  So perhaps RSA and DH combined in a construct
>with an optimistically proportioned key size would be near
>all that could be done.

That sounds about right.  Note that LAMs and such can use
shared symmetric keys along with the public keys, so that an
attacker has to get both to defeat the system.  When the
number of mixes is small, maybe some informal
password-sharing at conferences might help this.  For LAMs,
some level of hand-carried key exchange can be used.  Then,
actual keys can be encrypted as

RSA(R_0), ElGamal(R_1) are sent
Previously shared secret key K_2 is known.
Session Key = SK = E_{K_2}(R_0) XOR E_{K_2}(R_2).

Also note that DH should probably be used with many
different prime moduli, to resist any massive precomputation
on one modulus.  Maybe each mix could have several
expensively-prepared Sophie Germaine primes, and senders
could randomly select one for DH or El Gamal encryption.
This would spread out a future attacker's resources, though
of course, the attacker's effort scales only linearly in the
number of (expensive to find) primes.

>I suspect archiving world Network traffic would pose
>something of a operational and financial strain :-)

On the other hand, perhaps this is how NSA will pay their
employees' salaries once crypto becomes sufficiently
widespread:  They will start a search engine service on all
those archives of usenet/internet traffic for all these
years:  ``Check up on your political opponents' newsreading
habits.  Read the love letters of libertarian activists in
the 90s.  Find out whether Chief Justice Clarence Thomas
ever visits adult web sites these days.  *Only* at
http://www.archives.nsa.org ''

It would actually be very funny if historians in a couple
centuries got access to the NSA's archives of recorded phone
calls, telegrams, and e-mails.  Imagine the odd assumptions
that would result, with history students having this image
of twentieth century america based on recorded phone calls
of anarchists, antiwar activists, civil rights activists,
communists, important politicians, mobsters, suspected
spies, and wealthy businessmen.

>Adam

Note:  I read CP-LITE instead of the whole list.  Please CC
       me on replies.

- --John Kelsey, kelsey@counterpane.com / kelsey@plnet.net
NEW PGP print =  5D91 6F57 2646 83F9 6D7F 9C87 886D 88AF

Thread