1998-01-12 - Re: Spam

Header Data

From: Secret Squirrel <anon@squirrel.owl.de>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: f9c535eca87d1d19d5df47ca10cb413afba2a93db3569939f326e01c00bd64fd
Message ID: <3092d7f2431e74ea40b5d0ad22244ca3@squirrel>
Raw Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 08:44:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Secret Squirrel <anon@squirrel.owl.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 08:44:04 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Spam

Matthew L Bennett <lord_buttmonkey@juno.com> wrote:

>>I'm hoping you guys would know where I could find out
>>more about this individual -- I'm hoping that he does
>>in fact buy his service from someone else, and if so,
>>I'm not sure how to find that out.  If he doesn't, is
>>there anything I can do?
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Yeah, there is.
>
>Delete the friggin e-mail like a sensible person.
>
>I get a lot of spam every day, but I just delete it and go on with my
>life.

Since even many of the major sites these days seem to be run by a bunch of
idiots who don't care that they destroy the network so long as they make a
buck.

1) Trash mail from throwaway account providers like Juno (which I notice
you're using), Hotmail, AOL, Prodigy, MSN, and anybody who offers something
like a "fifty hours free spamming" policy.
2) Trash mail from chronic problem sites like AGIS, Earthlink, Worldnet, and
their ilk.
3) If you get a flame for a civilized spam complaint (zippo.com did this to
me) trash the mail from the site on the grounds that they're idiots.
4) If you get an incredibly stupid set of responses like I got from IBM
today kill mail from them on the grounds that they have no idea what they're
doing.
5) If it comes in with an obviously forged address then trash it. This has
the possibly beneficial side effect of killing mail from "legitimate" users
who purposefully use invalid addresses.
6) If it uses a relay site in one domain but comes from another trash it. A
good example would be spam mail which is relayed off of someplace.com.au but
has a "From" header which points to someplace.edu.tw, and has some other
received lines which point to a dialup at MCI.
7) If it overuses punctuation in the subject line such as "!!!!!" then trash
it.
8) If it comes in with a bunch of bogus IP addresses in the header then
trash it.
9) If it's in HTML then trash it.
10) If it has lines over 80 characters nuke it.
11) If it comes in more than twice nuke it.

Thread