1998-02-20 - Re: SF Chronicle on Sen. Dianne Feinstein: “Feinstein Offline”

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@invweb.net>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 1590c8e9435f07c1f94d887f4869dbba85418c5aa3c9e62bb491c11c1705fa29
Message ID: <199802200032.TAA28422@users.invweb.net>
Reply To: <v03102809b11253ad78b7@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-20 00:09:41 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 08:09:41 +0800

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@invweb.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 08:09:41 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: SF Chronicle on Sen. Dianne Feinstein: "Feinstein Offline"

In <v03102809b11253ad78b7@[207.167.93.63]>, on 02/19/98
   at 01:36 PM, Tim May <tcmay@got.net> said:

>At 12:53 PM -0800 2/19/98, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>>Feinstein Offline
>>Her law-and-order stance irks tech industry
>>Jon Swartz, Chronicle Staff Writer
>>Thursday, February 19, 1998

>Or the version her innermost self expressed:

>> In Feinstein's view, ``This whole information thing is moving so
>> fast that one has to be sure that kids are protected,'' she said.
>> ``I'm concerned when kids blow themselves up by building bombs (they
>> learned to make) by reading things in the encyclopedia. There is a
>> philosophy that anything goes. This is why I support the repeal of
>> the First Amendment and prison terms for thought criminals."

>She's a buffoon who is probably the first one who'll be sent to the wall
>if there's ever a Second American Revolution.

Third. We had a Second American Revolution and we lost.

>As for her concern about Social Security numbers being posted online, did
>it ever occur to her and her ilk that perhaps the problem is the
>widespread use of SS numbers by increasing numbers of government
>agencies, by requirements that banks use them, by requirements that motor
>vehicle departments use them, and so on?

>"Duh."

>The solution is not a new set of laws to felonize information like this,
>but the elimination of the SS number as a universal identifier. Far too
>late for that, of course, but Fineswine's laws won't help anybody. In
>fact, law enforcement will continue its abuse of SS numbers, its role in
>falsifying records and official documents, and so on.

Well this goes back to the "privacy rights" debate that has been going off
and on the list for quite awhlie now. The key to the whole thing is not
more bad laws and government regulation but removing the power of the
State to collect the information in the first place. (If we didn't have
the corrupt and bankrupt SS program then we wouldn't have to worry about
how SS #'s were used would we?)

>Let's try to be sure DiFi is in D.C. when Abu Nidal makes his move.

I figure the best time for a strike is during a Presidential Inagural
Address or a State of the Union when all the players are in DC in one
convenient location.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html

Tag-O-Matic: "Luke!  I'm your father!"  Bill Gates, 1980

Thread