1998-02-19 - PLO censoring pro-Iraqi sentiments

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 28664a37b680a712698e41159c555fdf6240cf98b508b9bb82fbdf290789b67d
Message ID: <v03102801b112264ccf41@[207.167.93.63]>
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 02:27:52 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 02:27:52 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: PLO censoring pro-Iraqi sentiments

The PLO ("Palestinian Authority") has banned pro-Iraqi demonstrations and
has seized the offices of newspapers and radio stations with an editorial
bent against the upcoming War with Saddam.

(Last time around, of course, the PLO supported Saddam.)

So much for any pretense of freedom of speech and the press.

(Not that I ever held the PLO, or the State of Israel, or Iraq for that
matter, as any kind of exemplars.)

Just something to remember when considering the implications of these
foreign wars.

No doubt Madelyn Albright, William Cohen, and Sandy Berger would love to
have had such press controls yesterday in Columbus, Ohio, when their
policies were booed and heckled, and when the questions asked were the
common sense questions many of us are asking.....

I chortled to see tapes of this event being replayed over and over again in
Baghdad.

But not in Israel. At least not in PLO-controlled areas, now that
Washington is their New Master.

--Tim May

Just Say No to "Big Brother Inside"
Higher Power: 2^3,021,377   | black markets, collapse of governments.

Thread