1998-02-12 - Re: www.lanl.gov

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Information Security <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 381a69fea44f09e885340da05d46b796151fa99b7beb08a0d946451b8ee0247b
Message ID: <v03102803b1082e3f51dd@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199802120233.VAA17969@panix2.panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-12 04:44:39 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 20:44:39 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 20:44:39 -0800 (PST)
To: Information Security <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: www.lanl.gov

At 6:33 PM -0800 2/11/98, Information Security wrote:

>I pulled up www.lanl.gov (for whatever reason), flipped back to
>my ISP shell account, did some stuff, logged out.
>
>Five minutes later, my PPP connection timed out, and so
>the line dropped.
>
>Two minutes after that, my computer dialed up my ISP and
>connected to the Net again: it was the LANL page.
>
>I hit 'STOP', and the connection timed out again, and that was that.
>
>I hate the way there isn't some choice about allowing (JAVA?)
>to NOT do that unless expressly allowed.
>
>I wonder what LANL loaded into my system that needed Net connectivity
>after seven minutes???

Perhaps LANL felt it needed to analyze what was on your computer? To see if
you were an Iraqi or Albanian or Quebecois spy attempting to learn atomic
secrets?

(LANL for those of you mysitified by this is Los Alamos National
Laboratory, of course. A beautiful place, high in the Jemez mountains of
New Mexico. As nuclear weapons work has been declinining, they've been
casting about for a new mission to justify government pork being sent their
way. One of their new interests is in hacking, intrusion, and "open
sources.")

--Tim May

Just Say No to "Big Brother Inside"
Higher Power: 2^3,021,377   | black markets, collapse of governments.

Thread