1998-02-19 - TechNet on Feinstein, SF Chron article, and encryption

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 49ba2f3d6cc18ba61adcfc6d14c65424e9f2ec5f03a8ae2f5cae4875608f355c
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.980219125825.9768K-100000@well.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 05:16:38 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 05:16:38 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: TechNet on Feinstein, SF Chron article, and encryption

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 12:43:14 -0800
From: "Garrett, Sean" <sgarrett@alexander-pr.com>
To: "'declan@well.com'" <declan@well.com>
Subject: Feinstein & Internet Policy

Declan:

Below is the awaited article about Senator Feinstein and Internet
policy.

I also want to make sure that TechNet's position on the encryption
debate is clear.  While encryption regulations are not the only major
issue facing the industry, we recognize that they are extremely
important to many (including most of TechNet's members).

While TechNet as an organization is not playing a role in the debate, we
believe the dialogue that we facilitate between tech CEOs and public
officials will help further all of our collective goals-including the
industry's domestic and export crypto goals.

Regarding Senator Feinstein, we hope that future meetings between her
and the industry are productive on encryption and other important
issues.

We do wholeheartedly appreciate the Senator's leadership with education
and securities litigation reform-TechNet's two policy goals.

Best,
Sean Garrett
Alexander Communications (representing the Technology Network)
Sgarrett@alexandercom.com

Thread