1998-02-23 - Re: FYI!!!! - NETA to buy TIS

Header Data

From: Austin Hill <austin@total.net>
To: “Cypherpunks” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 9590ae573a1fa94508170f75b4e8bf342470041ca989a099cfd91537804c3302
Message ID: <199802231751.MAA20933@bretweir.total.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:51:43 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Austin Hill <austin@total.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:51:43 -0800 (PST)
To: "Cypherpunks" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: FYI!!!! - NETA to buy TIS

<snip>

                    TIS provides a full line of security products and
                    services including: Gauntlet firewalls to protect
                    network connections; Gauntlet Global Virtual Private
                    Networks to secure electronic communications
worldwide;
                    Stalker misuse detection solutions to ensure the
                    integrity of servers which, when used in conjunction
                    with Network Associates' CyberCop, extends this level
of
                    protection to networks; and TIS Consulting and
Training
                    services to facilitate a company's network running
                    smoothly.

                    TIS' RecoverKey encryption technology provides
flexible,
                    scalable, user-controlled key recovery, and has been
                    implemented by multinational organizations for their
                    global networks. TIS is a founding member of the Key
                    Recovery Alliance, an organization of over 60
                    international companies working together to facilitate
                    the worldwide commercial use of strong encryption.

                    "This announcement represents a fundamental shift in
the
                    way large customers will implement security
technology,"
                    said Bill Larson, chairman and CEO of Network
                    Associates. "Network Associates is the first company
                    deliver this caliber of technology and this breadth of
                    security products. The ability to tie all of these
                    components together in a centralized management
                    environment is critical to customer success, and
Network
                    Associates is the only company to combine security
with
                    industry-leading network management capabilities."
<snip>

Well I guess this returns Network Associates to the Key Recovery
Alliance.  I wonder what the PGP division thinks about the new member of
the family being the founding member of the KRA?

-Austin

Quoted text from Steve Orrin (sorrin@syndata.com ) on 2/23/98 11:46 AM

>Hot off the Press:
>
>http://biz.yahoo.com/snp/980223/tisx_dtp_m_1.html
>

>Monday February 23, 10:21 am Eastern Time
>
>Trusted Information Systems to Be Acquired by Network Associates
>
>TRUSTED INFORMATION SYSTEMS INC. Signs Definitive Agreement to Be Acquired
>by
>Network Associates Inc.
>
>Feb. 23, 1998, Network Associates Inc. (Nasdaq:NETA - news) and Trusted
>Information Systems Inc. (Nasdaq:TISX -
>news) said they signed a definitive agreement under which NETA will acquire
>TISX in a transaction valued at over
>$300,000,000.
>
>Each TISX share will be exchanged for 0.323 of a NETA share.
>
>Subject to approval by TISX stockholders, among other conditions, the
>transaction is expected to close within about 90 days.
>

>A Picture Tells A Thousand Words.
>                    STEGO

Thread