1998-02-03 - RE: The Continued Attack on Cash (Was: “The Right of Anonymity”…)

Header Data

From: “James O’Toole” <otoole@lcs.mit.edu>
To: “‘unicorn@schloss.li>
Message Hash: c52bf6088a0d58611938d6d23525ff3e8091699114d3b5e4ec3619be767e12f6
Message ID: <01BD301E.4FCC8EC0@slip-james.lcs.mit.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:17:38 +0800

Raw message

From: "James O'Toole" <otoole@lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:17:38 +0800
To: "'unicorn@schloss.li>
Subject: RE: The Continued Attack on Cash (Was: "The Right of Anonymity"...)

Tim,

Maintaining anonymity in the face of the regulatory framework is certain to be difficult, and anything difficult is usually rare, expensive, or both.

An interesting question about the Privacy Card product is whether the social pressure against it is strong enough to defeat its privacy whenever the product is well advertised.  In other words, will a privacy product survive in spite of its own publicity in our current environment, or can privacy products only exist when their own existence is relatively unknown.  This is interesting because in the latter case, we have only a very very weak form of privacy/anonymity because it is hard to be sure how much privacy backs a product whose very existence is semi-secret.

Maybe we should consider putting up, and encouraging existing privacy-enhanced institutions to put up, challenge prizes based on privacy/anonymity preservation.  Just as we've seen prizes set for the cracking of specific composites and encrypted messages, we could ask Credit Suisse to put $1M in an escrow account at their main branch (Zurich?).  This escrow account would be a numbered account held by a trustee selected by the bank.  Let's say they wire $1000 per week to RSA Data Security in California, or to EFF.ORG, or to me, for that matter, and I wire it back.  I publish the full text of any documentation I can get from my bank account (an empty account I would maintain for this anonymity challenge).  Credit Suisse would promise to release the contents of the account to the first person to arrive at their main branch and present the name of the trustee.

That's not a very creative challenge...this could use more thought.

The point is that as far as I know, we haven't yet seen any really solid rewards placed to validate, advertise, or demonstrate the weakness of, well-known privacy-enhanced financial systems.  I don't even know that Digicash, which would be another logical sponsor, has put up such a challenge.  Have they?

  --Jim