1998-02-20 - Re: No Real Debate Yet on the War

Header Data

From: “Paul Bradley” <csm70830@port.ac.uk>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: e4c6e656392b52800ec15e174ee73e8b5495598ac318cd1396c0fd2f4952f373
Message ID: <89B3250098@ou20.csm.port.ac.uk>
Reply To: <v03102806b112432696c3@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-20 09:32:02 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 17:32:02 +0800

Raw message

From: "Paul Bradley" <csm70830@port.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 17:32:02 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: No Real Debate Yet on the War

> * speaking of plans, the plans are very vague. The public does not know
> what the goals of a war might be, what the endgame options are, how many
> Americans are likely to die, what the likely counterpunch will be (hint:
> think terrorist attacks), and just how the U.S. plans to fight a war
> without clear goals and clear support.

Yes, it will be a great sight indeed to see Iraqi freedom-fighters
bombing the hell out of soft targets in America, Britain, Australia
and any other imperialist countries who like to consider themselves
among the world police.

> * essentially no one thinks a bombing campaign will either kill Saddam, who
> moves around a lot to highly secret locations (including houses of
> peasants), or will destroy all of those small cannisters of anthrax and
> sarin and the like...when asked, Albright and Cohen are vague and
> dissembling.

The same is true in the UK, a few days ago I saw a television
interview (I rarely watch such rubbish but I sometimes like to laugh
at the spin, but it also depresses me that most citizen-units swallow
this crap) with some government minister who said that "We can attack
strategic points along the production line without releasing any
chemical agents", another lie. It is also a commonly held public
misconception that there is such a thing as a "precision bombing
campaign" (government spindoctor term) which most people believe
implies a campaign where no-one is injured but we miraculously win
a war without any casualties.
The more American, British, Australian, French etc. troops that die
in the Gulf War II (tm), the more the western world will realise that
war involves losses and that we cannot go on policing the world.

--
                            Paul Bradley
                      paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk

Thread