1998-02-21 - Re: Fwd: Big Brother Sees through walls (from the spyking list)

Header Data

From: Ken Williams <jkwilli2@unity.ncsu.edu>
To: Information Security <guy@panix.com>
Message Hash: f85c3a9f3b9eb6c746996fa59a4a441d4f866fe25e3bb5e484128f311261b51b
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.96.980221065336.5774A-100000@c00954-100lez.eos.ncsu.edu>
Reply To: <199802202304.SAA05606@panix2.panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-02-21 12:45:29 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:45:29 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Ken Williams <jkwilli2@unity.ncsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:45:29 -0800 (PST)
To: Information Security <guy@panix.com>
Subject: Re:  Fwd: Big Brother Sees through walls (from the spyking list)

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Information Security wrote:

>   >   From: sunder <sunder@brainlink.com>
>   >
>   >   1)From: "George Martin" <gmartin@kic.or.jp>
>   >   Subject: News Release: High-Tech Surveillance
>   >
>   >   Here's a sampling of how state and federal agencies are using this
>   >   terrifying technology to spy on Americans:
>   >
>   >   * In North Carolina, county governments use high-resolution spy satellite
>   >   photographs to search for property improvements that might increase
>   >   property tax assessments.
>
>Was this cost authorized by taxpayers?

I have lived in Raleigh, North Carolina my entire life (over 30 yrs).
County governments consist of an elected board of commissioners who have
the power to make such decisions and expenditures without holding public
hearings on these matters.  Unless the local media jumps on one of these
proposals weeks in advance, nobody will even know about it or have an
opportunity to petition for a public hearing.  Once the county
commisioners vote on and approve it, our money is spent and the public has
no recourse (until the next election).  Here in Raleigh, Wake County, NC,
for instance, we have a Republican county commissioner and a board of
members.  When I heard from his daughter, a personal friend, about his
plans to cut funding to drug education and rehab programs and redirect all
of those funds to the county prison system, I decided to act.  I contacted
the commissioner himself, his office, and even had lunch with his wife and
daughter to discuss this issue.  As a family friend, I thought I would at
least be able to get a friendly, receptive ear.  His wife and daughter
were in full agreement with me, but the commissioner dismissed all of my
suggestions and pleas.  In fact, he told me that I was "high on crack" for
even suggesting that he *not* cut spending to drug education and rehab
programs.  i then appealed to the media, the public, and various county
drug rehab and education facilities and tried to petition for public
hearings on the issue.  After getting stonewalled by the GOP-controlled
county board of commissioners, funding to drug rehab and education
programs was cut by over 50%.  Since that time (two years ago), drug
arrests and convictions, violent crime, murder, non-violent crimes,
and admissions to treatment centers have all risen, in all of the basic
statistical measurement categories.

Wake county taxes have increased dramatically (almost 50%), and we have
just completed building a new county jail and several county jail annex
facilities.  In both percentage and numbers, our county jail population is
at the highest rate it has ever been.

On a related note, seven of the Wake county sherriff's deputies, who all
had laptop computers (with Internet access) in their cruisers, were
recently busted for spending all of their time on the clock surfing the
web and going to porno websites and adult chatrooms.  One of the deputies
has been arrested for using a sherriff's department scanner to scan in a
picture of his genitals which he then sent to a young girl, a minor, from
his cruiser while on duty.

Additionally, the officer in charge of the weapons armory for the
sherriff's department, which contains full-auto weapons such as the HK MP5
and the M16, was recently dismissed because it was discovered that he had
been spending all of his time on the clock in another section of the
building surfing adult sites on the web.  Meanwhile, the armory was left
unlocked, deputies were unable to get their weapons serviced within a
reasonable period of time, and an M16 "disappeared".

My tax dollars at work...

>No amount of control over the population is enough for the U.S. Government.
>---guy

Next...i'll fill you in on some of the more interesting discoveries I made
while working for the NC Dept of Crime Control and Public Safety.  They
don't need satellites to watch you here in Raleigh...they have hi-tech,
hi-res cameras perched on top of all the tallest buildings, in the
projects, at selected street corners, and various other points.

so much for your privacy...

TATTOOMAN

| ORG: NC State Computer Science Dept    VP of The  E. H. A. P. Corp. |
| EML: jkwilli2@adm.csc.ncsu.edu         ehap@hackers.com             |
| EML: jkwilli2@unity.ncsu.edu           ehap-secure@hackers.com      |
| WWW: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jkwilli2/   http://www.hackers.com/ehap/ |
| FTP: ftp://152.7.11.38/pub/personal/tattooman/                      |
| W3B: http://152.7.11.38/~tattooman/w3board/                         |
| PGP: finger tattooman@152.7.11.38                                   |

Thread