1998-03-28 - NRA support for crypto [was Rivest’s Wheat & Chaff - A crypto alternative]

Header Data

From: Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
To: “Marcus J. Ranum” <mjr@nfr.net>
Message Hash: 0e9622aa1154fc0192d8e4f3e7d65dbc90ff75a65142904ba590f93853ec712f
Message ID: <wxafaan4vw.fsf_-_@polysynaptic.iq.org>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19980323132339.006a03e4@mail.clark.net>
UTC Datetime: 1998-03-28 16:42:53 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 08:42:53 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 08:42:53 -0800 (PST)
To: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@nfr.net>
Subject: NRA support for crypto [was Rivest's Wheat & Chaff - A crypto alternative]

"Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr@nfr.net> writes:

> >Since when have you been a cryptographer, Marcus?
>
> Ever since I independently re-invented ROT-12 at the age of 12. :)

I guess that was a bit mean. I'm just not sure one is really a
cryptographer till one is spending the majority of their time doing it
and earning a living (or a lot of respect) due to the quality of the
work produced. i.e dabbling in cryptography != I've made significant
contributions to the state of the art (I know you have made useful
contributions to other parts of the security world). We .... is often
used as a psychological ploy, to convince people the argument that
follows is their own. Given that I strongly disagreed with the
substance of your message, perhaps I took a dislike to the We
.... business a little too eagerly.

> >> Has anyone considered approaching the NRA for support for
> >> cryptography?? If it is a munition, isn't our right to use it
> >> domestically protected under the second amendment, just like
> >> our right to keep and bear arms?
> >
> >Guns are made for killing people. Terrorists use guns. Terrorists
> >kill people. Cryptography is guns. Terrorists use cryptography.
> >Cryptography kills people.  What a fantastic public relations ploy.
> >The genius of it.
>
> D'uh, that's what FBI is saying already!

So your suggesting putting your weight behind a tactical metaphor of
the FBI? Effectively letting them control the landscape of the debate,
by implanting into the public's minds that guns equal cryptography.

Ok.

You now have a situation where all strong cryptography is out-lawed
(err, when was the last time you purchased a A42 tank cannon?)
domestically, everything requires export permits (wadda ya mean I can't
post my 10 gauge to Zurich without a license?!) and weak cryptography
is exposed to a whole host of restrictions, including key size
limitation (small arms only), speed limitations (it's dangerous to be
able to encrypt too many messages quickly and automatically), usage
registration (1 32 bit 8 round IDEA cipher and 2 40 bit barrel-loaded
RC4's in farmer Jones' bedroom), cooling off periods (can't let people
encrypt on a 'whim), exclusion of un-desirables (you want a crypto
license and you haven't been in the state 3 months/had a psychiatric
illness/were convicted of an offence/are under the age of 21/listen to
NPR?!), necessity (I need that there 56 bit 8 rounder for rabbit
'crypting; I had to encrypt, officer, in a suburban environment - it was
self defence against hardened criminal hackers!).

> Cryptography is a tool for liberty! Cryptography was used to
> save lives in the war! It's been used throughout history by
> freedom loving men and women to fight oppression! It's as
> American as apple pie!

Breaking cryptography saved lives in the war, this is extensively
documented over hundreds of clearly defined cases [see Kahn's epic
work]. How many lives both-sides using cryptography saved is
intangible. I suspect the completely unreal situation of all-sides
having open communications would have saved a truly huge number of
lives.

> >> I will give up one time pad when you pry it from my cold dead
> >> left hand. My rifle will be in my right hand.
> >
> >Tell me this is fabricated Macrus.
>
> I wrote that. What's your beef? Having a bad hair day or
> something?

<shrug> I honnestly believed you had been done over by D. Vulis there
	for a moment.

Cheers,
Julian.

Thread