1998-03-29 - (Fwd) Slaves

Header Data

From: jcaldwel@iquest.net
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1535c1d3669a1f9e93107f034954fdcbc335a31787969b41218e7a4a09db42ba
Message ID: <199803291827.KAA05001@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 10:27:37 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jcaldwel@iquest.net
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 10:27:37 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (Fwd) Slaves

Tim May said

From:          jcaldwel@iquest.net
To:            jcaldwel@iquest.net
Date:          Sun, 29 Mar 1998 13:26:57 +0000
Subject:       Slaves

--Digest-12348D34

Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:55:03
From: BILL SMITH <bill.smith@aen.org>
Sender: AEN-NEWS <NEWS@AEN.ORG>
To: Multiple recipients of list NEWS <NEWS@AEN.ORG>
Subject:   slaves                2/3

* Original: FROM: BILL SMITH
* Original: TO:   ALL
* Original: AREA: MILITIA

* Forwarded by Al Thompson
* Forwarded Using QuickBBS 2.76 Ovr
* Forwarded at 13:17 on 26-Mar-98

 EID:F933 FC775EE0
>>> Continued from previous message
Rescinding your social security number is another thing that I would have
said a year ago, "OK, it's an option, but it's a grandstanding option.
It's waving and saying, 'Hey, hey, I'm a troublemaker. Put me on a list.'" But
I am going to be rescinding my social security number formally, writing to the
Social Security Administration and saying, "Nope. Not my number, folks." It may
be a grandstanding gesture, but that number is a slave's number, and I'm
getting rid of it, pure and simple.

Now a lot of people -- a lot of people _here_ -- are doing these things
already. I know people right here in this group who haven't paid taxes in
years. I know people in this group who don't have a driver's license, who
_have_ rescinded their social security numbers, or whatever, and I think
that's great.

In fact Rick White came up with a really good term the other day when we
were talking. He talked about "individual secession" as a means of
combating the government. We were talking about ways of avoiding violence, and
he suggested "individual secession" as a means of accomplishing that. I think
it's great, and I think we all need to do it.

But I also think that the result of quiet secession -- of just quietly
withdrawing your consent, your support, your participation in the system
-- the result of that is something like what happened in the Soviet Union.
Eventually the system collapses, but what's left? You have black markets. We
like black markets, because they're free markets. But they are corrupt markets
that are run by gangsters, eventually. We need free, open markets. We need to
declare freedom and live it publicly, instead of by hiding.

I think individual secession is good, but we need to make noise doing it.
And not polite noise. We libertarians are very polite people, very
well-mannered. We sign our little pledge, and we do the right thing,
because that's the kind of people we are. But we need to make noise. We
need to say, "I'm withdrawing. I'm withdrawing, and here's why, and come
get me."

And that goes against everything I personally believe. One reason you
never heard of Claire Wolfe until six months ago was that although I've
been an activist, I have tried to keep a low profile and tried to be
really quiet, because I didn't want the IRS knocking on my door, or
kicking it down as the case may be. I didn't want the ATF coming in to say
hello at four in the morning. But I don't care any more. I _do_not_ care any
more, and I think we're coming to a confrontation point anyway, and if that's
what happens, so be it.

I think there are a lot of other things that you can all do and probably
all _are_ doing; probably a lot of you are ahead of me. That's why I like
coming down to Arizona; I learn from what people in Arizona are doing. But
certainly, withdraw to the extent that you can from the banking system.

Set your political priorities -- don't waste your time on things that
aren't working. Like for me, I was always always sitting down writing
stupid letters to my congressperson, as if my congressperson cared. I felt like
I was doing something. But one of the things I've learned since those days is
to do is prioritize. And that means don't even bother any more. Don't even talk
to them any more.

I think everybody should be studying warfare, in one way or another.
Whether that's the personal warfare of going up to Gunsite and learning
how to shoot in combat situations or whether that's studying _The Art of
War_, reading books by Mao, or Che Guevara, or Sun-Tzu. I think we all
need to be doing that, even if we don't want the confrontation. None of us
_want_ the confrontation, but I think we'd better be prepared for it in those
ways.

I think we should all be getting out of government jobs -- with one
exception. With one exception, and this is something I've just been
thinking about. I've decided that over the last thirty years some
_wonderful_ libertarian has been running the IRS' computer system. And I
say, "Thank you out there, whoever you are, and keep it up! Good job!" So
anybody who's in a position to do unto the ATF or unto the EPA what has
been done to the IRS, definitely go for it.

One of the things that we can do, whether we're looking for confrontation
or not, is to establish some virtual communities. And here's where Michael Voth
comes in. Michael of the Coconino libertarians, and Kevin Burt of the Laramie
County libertarians of Cheyenne Wyoming, cooked up this notion of "cousin
counties".

You know how we have "sister cities" all around the world? Well, we now
have a "cousin countyship" between Laramie and Coconino libertarians. We
don't exactly know what we're going to do with it yet, but we have our own
"virtual community", and it is somewhat of an act of...well I don't think we
care enough to _defy_ the national hierarchy, but we're going to make
connections despite the hierarchy.

Some day we may need a "safe house" in Coconino; some day they may need a
"safe house" in Laramie County. Some day we may need to be stations on an
underground railroad for getting patriots to safety. We may need to be
stations on a supply line, and we have that connection established. We
have a relationship with each other already, and we'll do what seems
appropriate with it.

That, unfortunately, brings us to the national party, or
higher-up-the-line parties. I think -- and this is just a personal
viewpoint -- that the best thing that the state party could be, or the
best thing that the national party could be for individual libertarians is a
support group to help us establish networks with each other; to help us keep
connections with each other; to help us learn from each other; what works and
what doesn't work; what did they try over in Alabama that might work in Nevada,
or that was a disaster and might not work anywhere?

Your state organization is great for that, I think, to the extent that I
know it. Unfortunately you're one of the few that is. And unfortunately,
of course, we have National. The national party. The commissariat of
Washington, D.C.

What is the national party? It is a top-down fund-raising organization
that is into telling us what we should do, not learning from us and
helping to spread it around.

And certainly some of the things that we should _not_ do, according to
National...we should not have people like L. Neil Smith at our gatherings. He
has been declared "unfit" by the national party. And I hope you all recognize
that. [Applause for Smith, who was sitting in the audience.]

Also, a year or so ago, those of us who got the "Libertarian Volunteer"
got an issue that listed the "twelve most terrible things" that have ever
been done at local party meetings. One of them was to discuss "Should
There Be A Libertarian Party?" I mean, that's shocking. How _dare_ we talk
about such a thing?

So here we are at a time when we need individualism, autonomy, quick
action and networking, being saddled with this sort of dinosaur with the
little pea-brain up here in Washington, DC, trying to communicate down to
us, thinking we're its tail or something. Yhey are so busy trying to be
like the other folks in Washington, D.C. that they are very quickly
forgetting that they _are_ libertarians.

But I'm sure they're quite good at fund-raising; I've hear wonderful tales
about their fund-raising. In fact, something quite interesting that I heard the
other day indirectly from Neil: Harry Browne is criticizing _me_ as one of the
people who was damning him for his fund-raising and odd campaign spending
practices. Well, I never did. I would have. I would have been happy to, because
of what I have heard from Vin Suprynowicz and Neil Smith and other people. But
it didn't happen.

So, National is giving us enemies lists and fund-raising corruption, among
other pleasures of politics. Heck, they're headquartered in the Watergate,
after all! What are we going to do with these people? They think that success
is raising a lot of money whether it goes to any good cause or not. They think
that success is being invited to the cocktail parties with the Democrats and
the Republicans. They think that success is having libertarianism favorably
mentioned in the Washington Post.
>>> Continued to next message
---
 * OLX 2.2 * It's dangerrous to be right when the government is wrong
--- GEcho 1.00
 # Origin: Texas Patriot PRN-Dallas (972)495-6699 (176:200/200)
 GPTH: 200/200 0 100/0 500/0 14
 GATE: 1:273/304.0@fidonet 35188aac

* Origin: FidoNet <-> PRNet EchoGate! (1:273/304.0)

--Digest-12348D34

Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:55:04
From: BILL SMITH <bill.smith@aen.org>
Sender: AEN-NEWS <NEWS@AEN.ORG>
To: Multiple recipients of list NEWS <NEWS@AEN.ORG>
Subject:   slaves                3/3

* Original: FROM: BILL SMITH
* Original: TO:   ALL
* Original: AREA: MILITIA

* Forwarded by Al Thompson
* Forwarded Using QuickBBS 2.76 Ovr
* Forwarded at 13:17 on 26-Mar-98

 EID:E912 FC775EE0
>>> Continued from previous message
OK, if I were favorably mentioned in the Washington Post, I would do
everything I could to change my ways! Wouldn't you? Who wants to be
favorably mentioned by people who think that every bit of dissent is
_hate_speech_? Who think that anyone who is not a Republican or a Democrat or
in the mainstream is some sort of crazy? No. No thank you. Hunh-unh. No thanks.

We try very hard to be acceptable. The national party is trying to be
acceptable and there's nothing wrong with that. It's human. I mean we want to
be accepted from the moment we're born. But the question is, to whom do we want
to be acceptable?

I don't want to be acceptable to the same people that the national party
wants to be acceptable to. I want to be acceptable to you guys. And I want you
to be acceptable to me, because we are going to need each other some day. I
want to be with you when we prepare.

I don't care whether you're preparing even for the same eventuality that
I'm preparing for. I don't care if you're a pacifist. There is room for
many differences. But we've got a role to play, and it's we, not national, who
are going to play that role.

Something is going to happen. I wish I could tell you what it was. I've
been talking to people and everybody's going through the same thing --
"Well, I think it might be this", "I think it might be that", "I think it
might be the other" -- we don't know. But it's coming. Whether it breaks
with the suddenness of an earthquake, or whether it comes like a storm
that you can see rolling toward you for hours, it _is_ coming.

And the big question for all of us, when this hits, is, "Do I want to be
polite and acceptable or _do_I_want_to_be_FREE?"

Free, of course! I mean, it's easy, right? It's easy! So let's do it! I
have absolute confidence you guys are going to be _able_ to do it. And
when it all comes down, I want to be here, if not physically in Arizona, I want
to be in your virtual community.

So thank you for your guts. And thank you for having me here. And thank
you for being brave enough to talk about things that National doesn't want you
to talk about, and to do things that National doesn't want you to do. My
congratulations and gratitude to all of you.

*****

NOTE on the health care database: I have since been fiercely corrected on
this point. I may have been overstating the present danger of such a
database, though I believe the danger remains grave for the near future.
The health care bill (available from the Library of Congress' Thomas web
site as HR 3101 or Public Law 104-191) establishes a federal database for
reporting medical fraud and abuse. I don't believe this is the problem,
however it was part of the confusion. Later, in Sections 1171-1175, the
bill outlines a plan for the Secretary of Health and Human Services to set
standards for the electronic transmission of all health care data. These
"standards" do not constitute a database, and I thank the critic who corrected
me on that issue. However, the secretary is directed to set one standard _by
which all medical data will be electronically communicated_. The standard must
include a "unique identifier" for every individual whose medical information is
ever transmitted (Sec. 1173). In doing that, Congress is clearly allowing the
Clinton administration to create a de facto single, nationwide system to which
federal (and other) bureaucrats will have easy access, almost certainly via our
social security numbers. If this does not rapidly become the feared federal
database, it will nevertheless allow the government, researchers and others to
run rampant through the various private or state databases that will use the
federally defined standard. I regret any confusion. But I urge you to keep your
eyes open and your heads up...not that it will do you much good when
bureaucrats are secretly slurping your medical data -- law or no law -- into
their computers.

(c)Claire Wolfe 1997

+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work
within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.

-- Claire Wolfe, "101 Things To Do 1Til the Revolution"

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/1797/essay.htm

---

Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 11:55:02
From: BILL SMITH <bill.smith@aen.org>
Sender: AEN-NEWS <NEWS@AEN.ORG>
To: Multiple recipients of list NEWS <NEWS@AEN.ORG>
Subject:   slaves                1/3

* Original: FROM: BILL SMITH
* Original: TO:   ALL
* Original: AREA: MILITIA

* Forwarded by Al Thompson
* Forwarded Using QuickBBS 2.76 Ovr
* Forwarded at 13:17 on 26-Mar-98

 EID:C950 FC775EE0
SPEECH BEFORE THE ARIZONA LIBERTARIAN PARTY CONVENTION April 19, 1997

by Claire Wolfe

In November, 1995, I sat down and wrote the words, "America is at that
awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to
shoot the bastards." That's a line a lot of you have become familiar with, and
to the extent that other people have also become familiar with it, it has a lot
to do with Arizona libertarians pushing that message.

Well, I wrote that a year and a half ago, the book was published about six
months ago, and now here we are, April 19, 1997. Is it time to "shoot the
bastards" yet? This is a question a lot of us have been pondering.

We signed our oath, most of us, we signed our pledge not to initiate
violence. We're the good guys. We know that. But I have heard so many
people -- good, responsible, ordinary people -- talking about whether we
might be reaching the time that we should "shoot the bastards".

I think one of the best comments on this came from Vin Suprynowicz, who
interviewed me when the book was published. Actually, of all the things
said in the interview Vin made the best comment; he said that we have
reached the time when it is _morally_ right to "shoot the bastards", but
it is not yet _practical_ to do so.

I do believe that a fight is inevitable, whether that's a fight in the
streets or the trenches, or whether that is some sort of confrontation
that may not involve arms but may nevertheless involve violence and
head-to-head action. I think that's inevitable, and I think more and more
people are coming to the conclusion that it is.

April 19th, as you all know, is a day in history when many people _have_
taken up arms, when they have been _forced_ to take up arms. Peaceable
people in Lexington and Concord, desperate people in the Warsaw ghetto.
Even when they had no hope, or little hope, they took up arms. But here we
stand, and although a lot of us have arms with us, or not far from us, we're
not ready to "take up arms" yet.

But I hope we're preparing ourselves. I hope we're at least thinking about it.

In the last year and a half, since I originally wrote those frustrated,
angry words, things have gotten a hell of a lot worse. And it's almost
scary how little the disaster that we're in the middle of has been
acknowledged.

For instance, just four -- I don't want to call them laws or acts of
legislation -- four abominations that Congress has come up with in the
time since I originally wrote those words. We've got a federal database of all
employed people, or, that is, all people who get conventional jobs. That's been
done in the name of "tracking deadbeat dads". However, you might be a single
mother with five kids you're taking good care of; you might be a single guy who
never intends to get married. You're going in that database. Why? What does
that have to do with "deadbeat dads"? I don't know. I can't figure it out.

Along those same lines, we now have pilot projects being started, under
which you cannot get a job unless your employer first gets permission from the
Social Security Administration by scanning your card through a reader connected
to a database in Washington, DC. Isn't that cute? Some Social Security
bureaucrat decides whether or not you can ever get a job in this country.

We've also got a medical health care database that will be on line in
about a year. This was part of the "moderate" Kennedy-Kassebaum health
care act -- you'll be pleased to know that this is "moderate". Everything
about your medical history will go into this database, including
speculation on the part of your doctor, who may observe that you're an
"armed and dangerous wacko". He's not going to tell you that, but it goes
in your records and goes in the database. (NOTE: Please see comment at
the
end of this transcript.)

The fourth one that is really for me the "line in the sand" issue is the
national ID card that we have just begun to hear about in the last couple
of months. Has everybody heard something about that? Well, for the few who
haven't I'll just review quickly.

At the end of the 104th Congress there were about two paragraphs added
into several hundred pages of legislation that requires that by October,
2000, all states will be issuing driver's licenses that you must have your
Social Security card to get one, and they will have certain "security
features". These are not defined in the law, but they may include: retinal
scans; fingerprint scans; other data on your driving history, health history,
criminal history, so on. (NOTE: The U.S. Secretary of Transportation is
currently in the process of writing the regulation on this.)

And by October 2006, you will not be able to get _any_ government service
at _any_ level without having one of these driver's licenses. You will not be
able to get a passport. If your local utility company is the government you
will not be able to get water to your house, or electricity to your house, and
so on. My Christian friends, of course, are calling this the "Mark of the
Beast", and I don't think they're wrong. I think they're right.

So those four things, among many, many others, have all been snuck in on
us lately. But the reason I pick these four is something that a friend
pointed out to me. This friend says, "These four are slave laws." Many
other laws that have been imposed upon us recently are bad laws, but
_these_are_slave_laws_. They all enable the federal government to track
its property -- you, and you, and you, and me -- its property.

They can monitor our health just the way that farmers monitor the health
of their cattle. If they don't think we're being properly productive they
can deny us the jobs, or they can make sure that we're in a job that they
like.

It's here, now, that we have to stop this. I hope we can stop it without
violence, but we do HAVE to stop it.

What I'd like to focus on today are some things that I think we as
individuals can do, and some of the things that I think that libertarian
party organizations can, or perhaps should, do to prepare for the hard
times that are going to come when the day arises that we say, "No! It
stops here! It stops now!"

I wish for just this little moment that we were all a bunch of Marxists,
or Democrats, or something, because then I could say, "Comrades! You
_must_ do this! Comrades! You _shall_ do that!" But we're libertarians,
and it's only, "Hey! You'll do what you want to do; I'll do what I want to do.
You'll do what fits your personality; I'll do what fits my personality." And
that is the way it has to be. That's our strength and our weakness.

But there are a couple of things that I would say that I think everybody
here, and everybody who professes to be a libertarian _should_do_. One is
to get the income tax out of your own life, however you have to do it. Get it
out!

In every other presentation I've ever given before I've said, "Oh I
understand that if you have a regular job, or if you have children, or if
you have a lot of nice possessions it's riskier for you to do it. But I'm
coming to the point where, I'm sorry, we can't feed the beast. We've got
to stop feeding it. That's all there is to it. All of our great
professions of principle in the world are nothing if we don't stop paying
the ATF, paying the FBI, paying the IRS.

The other thing that I hope everyone will do is resist this national ID in some
way or another. Refuse to get the driver's license, drive without it, whatever
you have to do. Refuse to give the information, protest, scream, rescind your
social security number, whatever.
>>> Continued to next message
---
 * OLX 2.2 * It's dangerrous to be right when the government is wrong
--- GEcho 1.00
 # Origin: Texas Patriot PRN-Dallas (972)495-6699 (176:200/200)
 GPTH: 200/200 0 100/0 500/0 14
 GATE: 1:273/304.0@fidonet 35188aac

* Origin: FidoNet <-> PRNet EchoGate! (1:273/304.0)

--Digest-12348D34--

Thread