1998-03-15 - Read about a REAL “Punk!”

Header Data

From: StanSquncr <StanSquncr@aol.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 29c132d2c5615f441801cb4a7dc1ccac7cdb2e916d934917c7ce86e285138618
Message ID: <458a4c61.350b57d6@aol.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 20:24:29 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: StanSquncr <StanSquncr@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 20:24:29 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Read about a REAL "Punk!"

Absolute Proof - Rush is a Liar!

First let's define 'liar' (from pages 670-671 of 'Merriam Webster's Collegiate
Dictionary, 10th
Edition')

"Liar - one that tells lies"

That was easy, now it's a little more confusing, because of the number of
definitions (4). The first
two I will leave out, as they pertain to how you might 'lie' down, or where a
golf ball may 'lie'. The
3rd is the verb, and is inapplicable. I will use the 4th definition, the noun.

(4) "Lie (noun)- 1: a: an assertion of something known or believed by the
speaker to be untrue
with intent to deceive b: an untrue or inaccurate statement that may or may
not be believed true
by the speaker 2: something that misleads or deceives 3: a charge of lying"

By combining the two definitions,

(4:1:a) 'Liar - one that tells assertions of somethings known or believed by
the speaker to be
untrue with intent to deceive'
(4:1:b) 'Liar - one that tells untrue or inaccurate statements that may or may
not be believed true
by the speaker'
(4:2) 'Liar - one that tells somethings that mislead or deceive'
(4:3) 'Liar - one that tells charges of lying'

I think that regular readers will now concede that subsense (4:1:b) proves
that his many 'errors'
can be classified as lies, and (4:2) certainly fits Rush! But for the sake of
proof, I will now
document more than one lie, with complete disreguard as to whether Rush knew
they were lies at
the time he said them, to prove it by subsense (4:1:b).

These examples from FAIR (Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting). Please e-mail
FAIR (at
fair-report@fair.org - it will be returned via e-mail) for the complete FAIR
report on Rush
Limbaugh, so you can see how Limbaugh responds to FAIR's reports of his lies
(Limbaugh's
so-called response (that he lauded so loudly (at the time)) is included also,
as well as FAIR's
counter-response).

LIMBAUGH: On California contractor C.C. Myers completing repairs 74 days early
on the
earthquake-damaged Santa Monica Freeway: "There was one key element that made
this
happen. One key thing: The governor of California declared the [freeway] a
disaster area and by
so doing eliminated the need for competitive bids.... Government got the hell
out of the way." (TV
show, 4/13/94) "They gave this guy [Myers] the job without having to go
through the
rigmarole...of giving 25 percent of the job to a minority-owned business and
25 percent to a
woman." (TV show, 4/15/94)

REALITY: There was competitive bidding: Myers beat four other contractors for
the job.
Affirmative action rules applied: At least 40 percent of the subcontracts went
to minority or
women-owned firms. Far from getting out of the way, dozens of state employees
were on the job
24 hours a day. Furthermore, the federal government picked up the tab for the
whole job (L.A.
Times, 5/1/94).

LIMBAUGH: "There's no such thing as an implied contract." (Radio show, quoted
in FRQ,
Spring/93)

REALITY: Every first year law student knows there is.

LIMBAUGH: "Ladies and gentlemen, we now know why there is this institutional
opposition to
low tax rates in the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. It's because [low
tax rates] are biblical
in nature and in root. When you can trace the lowering of tax rates on grain
from 90 percent to 20
percent giving seven fat years during the days of Pharaoh in Egypt, why then
you are tracing the
roots of lower taxes and rising prosperity to religion.... You can trace
individual prosperity,
economic growth back to the Bible, the Old Testament. Isn't it amazing?"
(Radio show, 6/28/93)

REALITY: Amazingly wrong. Genesis 41 is about the wisdom of INSTITUTING taxes,
not
cutting them. After Pharaoh had a dream that prophesied seven fat years to be
followed by seven
lean years, Joseph advised him to "appoint officers over the land, and take up
the fifth part of the
land of Egypt in the seven plenteous years...and lay up corn under the hands
of Pharaoh." In
other words, a 20 percent tax on the grain harvest would put aside food for
use during the famine.
Pharaoh took Joseph's advice, and Egypt avoided hunger during the famine.

LIMBAUGH: "It has not been proven that nicotine is addictive, the same with
cigarettes causing
emphysema [and other diseases]." (Radio show, 4/29/94)

REALITY: Nicotine's addictiveness has been reported in medical literature
since the turn of the
century. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop's 1988 report on nicotine addiction
left no doubts on
the subject; "Today the scientific base linking smoking to a number of chronic
diseases is
overwhelming, with a total of 50,000 studies from dozens of countries," states
Encyclopedia
Britannica's 1987 "Medical and Health Annual."

LIMBAUGH: "Most Canadian physicians who are themselves in need of surgery, for
example,
scurry across the border to get it done right: the American way. They have
found, through
experience, that state medical care is too expensive..." (Told You So, p. 153)

REALITY: "Mr. Limbaugh's claim simply isn't true," says Dr. Hugh Scully, chair
of the
Canadian Medical Association's Council on Healing & Finance. "The vast
majority of Canadians,
including physicians, receive their care here in Canada. Those few Canadians
who receive health
care in the U.S. most often do because they have winter homes in the
States--like Arizona and
Florida -- and have emergent health problems there." Medical care in Canada is
hardly "too
expensive"; it's provided free and covered by taxes.

LIMBAUGH: "There are more American Indians alive today than there were when
Columbus
arrived or at any other time in history. Does this sound like a record of
genocide?" (Told You So,
p. 68)

REALITY: According to Carl Shaw of the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs,
estimates of the
pre-Columbus population of what later became the United States range from 5
million to 15
million. Native populations in the late 19th century fell to 250,000, due in
part to genocidal
policies. Today the U.S.'s Native American population is about 2 million.

LIMBAUGH: "Women were doing quite well in this country before feminism came
along."
(Radio show, quoted in FRQ, Summer/93)

REALITY: Before feminism, women couldn't even vote.

LIMBAUGH: "Anita Hill followed Clarence Thomas everywhere. Wherever he went,
she wanted
to be right by his side, she wanted to work with him, she wanted to continue
to date him.... There
were no other accusers who came forth after Anita Hill did and said, 'Yeah,
Clarence Thomas, he
harassed me, too.' There was none of that." (TV show, 5/4/94)

REALITY: Hill could not have continued to date Thomas, since they never dated.
Two other
women, Sukari Hardnett and Angela Wright, came forth in the Thomas case with
similar charges.

LIMBAUGH: On Whitewater: "I don't think the New York Times has run a story on
this yet. I
mean, we haven't done a thorough search, but I--there has not been a big one,
front-page story,
about this one that we can recall. So this has yet to create or get up to its
full speed--if it weren't
for us and the Wall Street Journal and the American Spectator, this would be
one of the biggest
and most well kept secrets going on in American politics today." (TV show,
2/17/94)

REALITY: The New York Times BROKE the Whitewater story on March 8, 1992, in a
front-page story by Jeff Gerth that included much of the key information known
today. The
investigative article ran over 1700 words.

LIMBAUGH: Quotes President James Madison: "We have staked the future...upon
the capacity
of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain
ourselves according to
the Ten Commandments of God." (Told You So, p. 73)

REALITY: "We didn't find anything in our files remotely like the sentiment
expressed in the
extract you sent to us," David B. Mattern, the associate editor of The Madison
Papers, told the
Kansas City Star (1/16/94). "In addition, the idea is entirely inconsistent
with everything we know
about Madison's views on religion and government."

LIMBAUGH: "And it was only 4,000 votes that--had they gone another way in
Chicago--Richard
Nixon would have been elected in 1960." (TV show, 4/28/94)

REALITY: Kennedy won the 1960 election with 303 electoral votes to 219 for
Nixon. Without
Illinois' 27 electoral votes, Kennedy would still have won, 276-246.

LIMBAUGH: On Iran-contra special prosecutor Lawrence Walsh: "This Walsh story
basically
is, we just spent seven years and $40 million looking for any criminal
activity on the part of
anybody in the Reagan administration, and guess what? We couldn't find any.
These guys didn't
do anything, but we wish they had so that we could nail them. So instead,
we're just going to say,
'Gosh, these are rotten guys.' They have absolutely no evidence. There is not
one indictment.
There is not one charge." (TV show, 1/19/94)

REALITY: Walsh won indictments against 14 people in connection with the Iran-
contra scandal
including leading Reagan administration officials like former Secretary of
Defense Caspar
Weinberger and former national security advisers Robert McFarlane and John
Poindexter. Of
the 14, 11 were convicted or pleaded guilty. (Two convictions were later
overturned on
technicalities--including that of occasional Limbaugh substitute Oliver North)

LIMBAUGH: Explaining why the Democrats wanted to "sabotage" President Bush
with the 1990
budget deal: "Now, here is my point. In 1990, George Bush was president and
was enjoying a 90
percent plus approval rating on the strength of our victories in the Persian
Gulf War and Cold
War." (Told You So, p. 304)

REALITY: In October 1990, when the budget deal was concluded the Gulf War had
not yet been
fought.

LIMBAUGH: On the Gulf War: "Everybody in the world was aligned with the United
States
except who? The United States Congress." (TV show, 4/18/94)

REALITY: Both houses of Congress voted to authorize the U.S. to use force
against Iraq.

LIMBAUGH: On Bosnia: "For the first time in military history, U.S. military
personnel are not
under the command of United States generals." (TV show, 4/18/94)

REALITY: That's news to the Pentagon. "How far back do you want to go?" asked
Commander
Joe Gradisher, a Pentagon spokesperson. "Americans served under Lafayette in
the
Revolutionary war." Gradisher pointed out several famous foreign commanders of
U.S. troops,
including France's Marshall Foch, in overall command of U.S. troops in World
War 1. In World
War 2, Britain's General Montgomery led U.S. troops in Europe and North
Africa, while another
British General, Lord Mountbatten, commanded the China-Burma-India theatre.

LIMBAUGH: Limbaugh frequently denies that he uses his show for political
activism: "I have
yet to encourage you people or urge you to call anybody. I don't do it. They
think I'm the one
doing it. That's fine. You don't need to be told when to call. They think you
are a bunch of
lemmings out there." (Radio show, 6/28/93)

REALITY: Just an hour after making the above claim, he was--as usual--sending
his troops to the
trenches: "The people in the states where these Democratic senators are up for
reelection in '94
have to let their feelings be known.... These senators, you let them know. I
think Wisconsin's one
state. Let's say Herb Kohl is up in '94. You people in Wisconsin who don't
like this bill, who don't
like the tax increases, you let Herb Kohl know somehow."

And in summation, Rush is a liar (proven by (4:1:b), 'Merriam Webster's
Collegiate Dictionary,
10th Edition", page 670-671)!

Readers should judge on their own, whether you think this proves that Rush
knew about these
lies in advance and/or had an intent to deceive when he told these lies (as
it's impossible to prove
ones state of mind). I believe he did (on both accounts), so therefore I
believe there's ample
evidence to show Rush a liar by subsense 4:1:a, and 4:2 also! Readers should
also judge whether
they think that (many of) his lies are attempts at changing history.

Stanley Rosenthal

Thread