1998-03-21 - Re: UPSs

Header Data

From: StanSquncr <StanSquncr@aol.com>
To: shadow@tfs.net
Message Hash: d23a8c405d623e526198e1a76eb4ae599ac87eceb6c6c2a91cee98c170d0961b
Message ID: <94b30653.35134453@aol.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:40:55 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: StanSquncr <StanSquncr@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 20:40:55 -0800 (PST)
To: shadow@tfs.net
Subject: Re: UPSs

In a message dated 98-03-20 19:13:07 EST, shadow@tfs.net writes:

<< some protection is better than none. my roommate and I have our
 computers in the same room off of the same outlet but my computer has an
 UPS and his does not. During a storm, lightning hit near the apartment
 building and it took out his computer but not mine. But I do have a
 friend who lost his computer to a direct strike to the power lines and
 it took out the surge strip as well. At least in my case, it was not a
 direct strike into the power lines but what happened to my roommate made
 him get an UPS to at least have some protection next time. At least he
 will not have to possibly shell out another $1,500 for another computer. >>

I cannot argue against 'some is better than none' (or, if you're adding onto
your existing internal power supply, 'more is better than some').

BUT, of all things, when lightning strikes close to me, it takes out my modem,
nothing else. (and it's happened more than once (and they say it doesn't ever
strike in the same place twice!  ;-)  ))

Stan

Thread