1998-04-23 - Re: Position escrow

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ccaa1a55590467c0d91edd5d4dcad632a7d568ad8b5d611fad7f50469b846293
Message ID: <199804232027.WAA04314@basement.replay.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 13:27:27 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 13:27:27 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Position escrow

Dan Todd wrote:

> There is a similar (probably a number of them) service in parts of the US.
> While visiting Michigan recently I saw a wireless phone with a "calling
> card" from a company called Isis.  It appeared to be an anonymous, pre-paid
> cellular phone

Keep in mind that Timothy McVeigh thought he had anonymity with his
use of a prepaid 'anonymous' phone card over public payphones. He was
wrong. The testimony in this regard at McVeigh's trial was 'fixed'--not
in the 'facts' of tracing his identity, but in the 'timing' of tracing
his identity. i.e. - It was made to appear to be a longer and more
difficult process than it truly was.
It is highly unlikely that electronically-based 'anonymous' technology
is going to be any more untracable than meatspace-disseminated tools
of anonymity.

X-1.237Y-2.459Z-37.46Monger

Thread