1998-05-16 - Re: Gunpowder taggant solution

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: jim@mentat.com (Jim Gillogly)
Message Hash: c99e685b9b9be1b7bbcfb12c77669edb6d07930efbef55efbe5c5e260154665f
Message ID: <199805161952.OAA22508@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <9805161844.AA05715@mentat.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-05-16 19:56:19 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 12:56:19 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 12:56:19 -0700 (PDT)
To: jim@mentat.com (Jim Gillogly)
Subject: Re: Gunpowder taggant solution

Jim Gillogly wrote:
> Igor said:
> > I think that the gunpowder taggants are not as bad as it seems at first
> > sight. EVen if all gunpowders are sold with taggants, and if there is
> > enough people wishing to defeat them, they can simply organize gunpowder
> > mixing parties at gun shows. After several such parties, the taggants
> > might become completely useless.
>
> I'm woefully ignorant about reloading, but would this really work?
> Would you mix your high-quality smokeless with Tim's homebrew black
> powder, Toto's pebble-ground Canada Red Doobie Mix, and Bell's
> stinkbomb components and take away the average?  Or are different types
> of powder visually distinct enough or similar enough in effect to mix
> and match effectively?

I am perhaps even more ignorant, but I think that if you mix the same
kind of gunpowder (XYZ's BLAH # 123 gunpowder for example), then there
is no problem. But of course mixing different kinds may be asking for
trouble -- I have no clue about that.

Also, a gun owner could simply buy gnu powder in various places and
mix the batches.

	- Igor.

Thread