1998-07-07 - RE: Junger et al.

Header Data

From: Ernest Hua <Hua@teralogic-inc.com>
To: “‘Ed Gerck’” <egerck@laser.cps.softex.br>
Message Hash: 00aa7e584aad2cadb32fff972bb858ad056b36dea8dcc72aa5d2707402e89ec9
Message ID: <413AC08141DBD011A58000A0C924A6D52C359C@mvs2.teralogic-inc.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 21:44:11 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Ernest Hua <Hua@teralogic-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 21:44:11 -0700 (PDT)
To: "'Ed Gerck'" <egerck@laser.cps.softex.br>
Subject: RE: Junger et al.

I think we are in violent agreement here ...

Except that it seems odd that speech is no longer 1st amendment
protected as soon as it can be interpreted by a machine to do something.
So, then, if I want to deny you first amendment protections for
something, I can simply write a compiler to turn your words into machine
executable code, and suddenly, your words are no longer protected
speech.  How could that be a reasonable interpretation of functional
versus not?

Secondly, Gwin said that encryption is a special class of software which
is MORE functional.  This is definitely a misunderstanding, to say the
least.  I don't see how any particular class of software is necessarily
more or less functional than other classes of software.  In the
functional sense, all software, when compiled and executed is
functional, period (whether it performs according to its original design
is irrelevant).

Ern