1998-07-07 - Private-enterprise wiretapping

Header Data

From: bill.stewart@pobox.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 865f03006ac9a6ce12ab2ab6005ff4f588cf797be18e4be648351c425225a570
Message ID: <3.0.5.32.19980707100633.0090d580@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 10:07:12 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: bill.stewart@pobox.com
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 10:07:12 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Private-enterprise wiretapping

STOLEN NUMBERS -- [New York Times, p. 31, 7/5.]
Federal investigators said the scam was ingenious in its simplicity:
Five people in New York City would tap into public pay phones at major airports
across the country, then steal calling-card numbers
punched in by unsuspecting travelers. The scheme ended last month
with the arrests of four men and one woman. But the case is
only the latest machination in a $4-billion-a-year telephone fraud
industry that keeps reinventing itself. "This is something we have
not seen before," said Boyd Jackson [of] network security at AT&T,
one of the industry experts who helped Federal investigators on
the case. "And there is nothing I am aware of that customers can do
to fully protect themselves." The Secret Service was tipped off
by AT&T, Bell Atlantic and MCI after they received an unusually
high number of complaints from customers who had recently used
their calling cards in airports.
[Also San Jose Mercury News, 1C; Rocky Mountain News, 33A; Sun-Sentinel, 3A, 7/4.]

Thread