1998-07-09 - “Classified” Ads (Was Re: RSA in perl illegal to export)

Header Data

From: Xcott Craver <caj@math.niu.edu>
To: Jeff Nisewanger <Jeff.Nisewanger@Eng.Sun.COM>
Message Hash: 9916d96eed12d805635a81003470e7ac8b5fc526b6dd217dc39ab0b0c8df95c4
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.980709003238.27646A-100000@baker>
Reply To: <199807090001.RAA20366@puuoo.eng.sun.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-07-09 05:47:28 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 22:47:28 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Xcott Craver <caj@math.niu.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 22:47:28 -0700 (PDT)
To: Jeff Nisewanger <Jeff.Nisewanger@Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject: "Classified" Ads  (Was Re: RSA in perl illegal to export)

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Jeff Nisewanger wrote:

> > 	There are t-shirts out there with both human readable and
> > machine readable (bar code) versions of the RSA in 3 code....  Wear it
> > when boarding an international flight....
>
> 	Or take out a classified ad (so to speak) in the New York Times
> and have it published on paper.

	Woo!  This sounds like an easily doable, easily managable
	mass protest.

	We start a mailing list or website (a website would be better)
	of volunteers and the newspapers they intend to place ads in.
	Major papers would hopefully get multiple copies of the ad in
	multiple sections.  All on the same day.

	But then, they often charge per word, and one gigantic string
	of nonsense might not obey any newspaper's rules.

	But I like the idea of organizing a classified add campaign,
	or such.  Blitzing the nationwide press with a large number
	of tiny notes, all one day.  Maybe instead they could all
	contain a URL, pointing to a carefully written, agreed-upon,
	readable and fairly exhaustive collection of info about the
	issues at hand.  Well, maybe they shouldn't all point to
	the same machine....

	Ferget just signing petitions, dammit.  Petitions are for
	wimps.  Ask folks to participate by buying an ad.

	I mean, communication is what a lot of us here specialize
	in.  And in our protocols, we have Alice and Bob writing out
	hundreds of anonymous money orders, broadcasting public
	keys via radio from prison, and hiding love letters in
	GIFs of farm animals.  Surely there's enough imagination
	here to turn even a small fund into a very effective PR
	campaign.

							-Caj

> 	Jeff

 ,oooooooo8     o     ooooo@math.niu.edu  --  http://www.math.niu.edu/~caj/
o888'   `88   ,888.    888
888          ,8'`88.   888      "The user's going to pick dancing pigs
888o.   ,oo ,8oooo88.  888          over security every time."
`888oooo88 o88o  o888o 888                          -Bruce Schneier

Thread