1998-07-25 - Freddy Does Teleco

Header Data

From: Linda Reed–PCC West Campus CSC <lreed@west.cscwc.pima.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: eb6d9bfac86ff92d2e0a8fec5ef092afd86d89d08348a208ceae87417b08d987
Message ID: <009C9B34.4F0CB5A0.2@west.cscwc.pima.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 09:07:15 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Linda Reed--PCC West Campus CSC <lreed@west.cscwc.pima.edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 09:07:15 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Freddy Does Teleco

     * To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@ns.minder.net>
     * Subject: [Fwd: Tarantula Day Afternoon - SPACE ALIENS HIDE MY
       DRUGS!!!]
     * From: Frederick Burroughs <riburr@shentel.net>

Linda Reed--PCC West Campus CSC wrote:

>   On the other hand, the recent proliferation of rattlesnakes and
> tarantulas showing up, out of the blue, on the doorstep of the
> abode in which I am currently residing, as well as underneath the
> desk from which I am currently canning the small squares of pink,
> digital flesh being marketed on the CypherPunks Disturbed Male
> LISP, leads me to believe that, unless I am picking up visions
> of pre-release Stephen King novels through the fillings in my
> teeth, then some part of what I am writing must be true enough
> to be pissing *someone* off...

The abundance of black widow spiders, timber rattlers and copperheads here in
the yeastern US doesn't bother me. It's the incessant patterned interference
displayed on the TV, the fact that all the light fixtures and wall sockets are
loose and missing screws, and all my new neighbors are young retirees wearing
dark blue baseball caps (how'd they find this god forsaken snake pit?), that
brother me so much.

It's queer how much telephone maintenance is required in this rural setting. If
there's as much maintenance in the rest of the service area as there is around
my residence and place of employment, then why is the line quality so poor
(constant clicks, echoes and tone changes)? Granted most of these telephone
maintenance guys aren't doing anything when I pass them, they're all wearing
dark glasses and seem to be listening for something in their air conditioned
utility vans.

Freddy,
  I find it interesting that shortly after taking up residence at a
lady friend's house in Tucson, her phone went out and had to be 'fixed'
by the local Teleco.
 Naturally, the guy who came to 'fix' the phone was, as you point out,
wearing dark glasses, and, after messing with the box on the side of
the house, declared that the problem was at the Teleco end, and that
the phone would work after he returned downtown to finish 'fixing' the
problem.
  Also interesting is the fact that there are two other residences which
have feeds on the same line, and the only one that had a 'problem' was
the one I am at.
  I took the liberty of popping open the Teleco box on the side of the
house, and found a wiring scheme which is very creative in the way
that it routes the transmissions.

Tojohoto
p.s. - Have you got the 10 kilos of heroin ready to ship?

Thread