1998-08-01 - Re: From: dac@zurich.ibm.com (Marc Dacier)

Header Data

From: Xcott Craver <caj@math.niu.edu>
To: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@openpgp.net>
Message Hash: 051ec93496855976e6c0d6cd63db5e614fa60f6caeace0509df19b723f2cf317
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.980731202519.29206A-100000@baker>
Reply To: <199808010015.UAA11260@domains.invweb.net>
UTC Datetime: 1998-08-01 01:49:38 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 18:49:38 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Xcott Craver <caj@math.niu.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 18:49:38 -0700 (PDT)
To: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@openpgp.net>
Subject: Re: From: dac@zurich.ibm.com (Marc Dacier)

> >Java is similar to FORTH.  FORTH executes super-slow on high-level in
> >most machines.  About 10% of the speed of a compiled-language program -
> >such as Visual Basic.

> FORTH 10% of VB!! ROTHLMAO!!!!

	Rolling on the hearth?  Rolling off the house?  Ripping
	out tiny hairs?

	Running over the hamster?

	You sadistic F@#%.

> Obviously whoever wrote that doesn't have a clue when it comes to FORTH.

	It reads especially weirdly to anyone who remembers that BASIC
	was traditionally interpreted, too.  What crazy times we live in.

	And anyone who wants to claim VB superior to FORTH has to
	earn the right by transferring first a FORTH-made binary, then
	a VB-made binary, from one computer to another via floppy
	disks.

> VB. Add to the fact that your average FORTH programmer has a much higher
> skill set than your typical VB programmer and is capable of writting fast,
> tight code

	That's because writing in FORTH is like spending the day
	solving brain-teasers.

	Not that that's a bad thing; I figure programmers would get
	paid a lot more for much higher quality work if they were required
	to be in extreme brain-on mode 24/7.  But at least we have C++,
	huh?

							-Caj

Thread