1998-08-27 - RE: LACC: Re: Is hate code speech?

Header Data

From: “Kurt Buff” <kurtbuff@halcyon.com>
To: “‘Francis, Catherine’” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: e0febbd2ff81b4cf440d3bcc5fd26bf4dbf430aab09d4dcdc111ee9592d31f6a
Message ID: <002a01bdd178$6b04cf80$1b01010a@boar.minuteman.org>
Reply To: <6B5344C210C7D011835C0000F8012766020BB4B0@exna01.securitydynamics.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-08-27 05:07:50 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:07:50 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "Kurt Buff" <kurtbuff@halcyon.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:07:50 -0700 (PDT)
To: "'Francis, Catherine'" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: RE: LACC: Re: Is hate code speech?

Sorry, but you've got it slightly wrong, or maybe you don't...

| I'm sorry to digress, since this isn't why the article was originally
| posted, but I was forced to succumb to the troll.  Free
| speech is essential
| in an open society.   Freedom from discrimination is essential in a
| democracy.   Carry on.

"Free speech is essential in an open society." Yup, true enough.

"Freedom from discrimination is essential in a democracy." Well, maybe.

I do take notice of your change in terms, there. All democracy means is mob
rule. We don't live in a democracy, and I think you should be glad you
don't.

Frankly, I think a better observation would follow the form of your first
one - "Freedom to discriminate is essential in an open society."

The phrase "Freedom from..." has always meant a curtailing of freedom, in my
experience.

Thread