1998-09-21 - Re: ArcotSign (was Re: Does security depend on hardware?)

Header Data

From: Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
To: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Message Hash: 1d83dc3f8ea1578ca524034ffdbbb19c6d2c2be8308a5d5380fc8d2d3e8e883a
Message ID: <36075008.AA35899E@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
Reply To: <Pine.BSF.4.02.9809212206150.11625-100000@ideath.parrhesia.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-21 18:40:59 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 02:40:59 +0800

Raw message

From: Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 02:40:59 +0800
To: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Subject: Re: ArcotSign (was Re: Does security depend on hardware?)

Greg Broiles wrote:

> I didn't understand the relationship between this scheme and Rivest's
> chaffing and winnowing which you note was cited as a reference in the SSC
> paper - would you (or someone else) mind explaining the connection? The
> closest I can get is thinking that there's a parallel between trying to
> guess which PIN in the SSC system is valid and which isn't, and the
> "winnowing" part of the Rivest protocol; but that doesn't seem like an
> especially meaningful or illuminating relationship. It looks like maybe a
> footnote was dropped, which would've tied the Rivest paper to a particular
> passage in the paper.

I like to mention that sometime ago there was a lot of discussions
in comp.security.pgp.discuss. My personal opinions on shaffing and
winnowing are summarized in

    http://www.stud.uni-muenchen.de/~mok-kong.shen/#paper3

M. K. Shen

Thread