1998-09-09 - Joe Cypherpunk

Header Data

From: “sixdegrees”<661850g1@auto.sixdegrees.com>
To: “Ivan Cypherpunk”<cypherpunks@Algebra.COM>
Message Hash: 2062d27a3afc5d14e9ba3ec72a02caea6674cbd78aa13f3fa62b8306df0922a4
Message ID: <199809091200.IAA18283@www.video-collage.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 20:09:49 +0800

Raw message

From: "sixdegrees"<661850g1@auto.sixdegrees.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 20:09:49 +0800
To: "Ivan Cypherpunk"<cypherpunks@Algebra.COM>
Subject: Joe Cypherpunk

Name: Ivan Cypherpunk
E-Mail Address: cypherpunks@algebra.com
sixdegrees Password: listhome

Hi. You've been sponsored as "Significant Other" by Joe Cypherpunk
as part of something called sixdegrees, one of the fastest growing
phenomena on the Web, located at http://www.sixdegrees.com

You may have already heard of the six degrees of separation concept
- where everyone on the planet is connected to each other through
fewer than 6 people. Well, we haven't quite connected the whole
world yet, but there are over a million people participating, and
over 900,000 of them are connected in one giant chain.

And, just by confirming your relationship with Joe, you can
instantly tap into this interconnected community of interesting people
from all over the world.

So what? Well, by getting connected, you can come to the Web site
(which is completely FREE) and use a whole variety of valuable, fun
and intriguing services that make use of this massive chain of
connections.

You can come see who's logged on the site right now and when you
find someone interesting, we'll show you exactly how you're
connected no matter how many degrees it takes, and then you can
instant message them.

You can also find out how you're connected to that head of personnel
at the big firm where you've been trying to get your foot in the
door.

You can chat with people from around the globe and then see who you
know in common.

You can post burning questions on your own personalized bulletin
board and get valuable answers from your "circle" (your friends
and friends of friends).

You can even get Movie recommendations from the people you're
connected to.

So, stop by the site at http://www.sixdegrees.com to learn more and
give it a try. (You can log in with this password: listhome).

You can also get things started and get yourself connected right
from this e-mail:

** To confirm your relationship with Joe, just send a reply
   that says only CONFIRM on the first line of the message body

*  To deny this particular relationship (but keep open the
   possibility of joining sixdegrees if the concept intrigues you)
   send a reply that says only DENY

*  And, if you'd like to make sure you don't hear from us again
   (even if somebody else you know lists you as a contact) then
   simply send a reply which says REMOVE in the SUBJECT LINE so
   we can process your request right away

Thanks, and we look forward to seeing you at sixdegrees.

And, if you're really ambitious, you can get your network of
connections growing right away. Just list the people you think might
be interested in participating in sixdegrees and we'll contact them
with an e-mail like this one which mentions your name and invites
them to join.

Just follow these directions:

*  Click your mail program's REPLY button.

*  On the FIRST line of the message body of the reply e-mail that
   opens, type only the word CONFIRM to let us know that you
   are in fact Joe's Significant Other.

*  On the next line of the message body list the first and last
   names and e-mail addresses of the people you'd like to invite
   (you can list as many as you'd like - but we recommend you list
   at least two), and the relationship numbers that correspond
   with how those people are related to you.

MAKE SURE:

*  That the first name, last name, e-mail address and relationship
   number are separated by SEMI-COLONS.

*  You follow the format of these examples:

     John; Smith; jsmith@fakeplace.com; 12
     Jane; Doe; superjane@fakeplace.com; 3

*  And that you define each relationship by choosing a number from
   this list:

 1=wife              2=husband              3=life partner
 4=significant other 5=mother               6=father
 7=sister            8=brother              9=daughter
10=son              11=other family member 12=friend
13=employer         14=employee            15=co-worker
16=client           17=service provider    18=business contact
19=fellow alum      20=acquaintance

We look forward to hearing from you!

PLEASE NOTE: All replies to this address are processed by a
computer. If you have any problems, questions or requests send
an e-mail to issues@sixdegrees.com and you'll receive a prompt
and courteous response.

And, if you'd like to review our privacy statement just visit
http://www.sixdegrees.com/Public/About/Privacy.asp

sixdegrees is Registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

E.DB.ANB.1

Thread