1998-09-22 - Re: Stego-empty hard drives… (fwd)

Header Data

From: Michael Hohensee <mah248@is9.nyu.edu>
To: Jim Choate <cypherpunks@einstein.ssz.com
Message Hash: 20953ae0983882297bec1761f7842aec1a7913e3efbbb5a1a7e4a89e9c2000fb
Message ID: <3607E291.4D7BFFBA@is9.nyu.edu>
Reply To: <199809220116.UAA20070@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-22 04:43:09 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:43:09 +0800

Raw message

From: Michael Hohensee <mah248@is9.nyu.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 12:43:09 +0800
To: Jim Choate <cypherpunks@einstein.ssz.com
Subject: Re: Stego-empty hard drives... (fwd)

Jim Choate wrote:

> [...]

Well, I don't propose to do it at all, since I lack the expertise to do
it or even know how much trouble it would be to do it. :)

I believe that the idea was to change BIOS itself.  That is, change the
BIOS program, rather than a setting.  This was to be done by
flash-updating the BIOS with a new program.

> > When you're taking your laptop through customs, you do
> > nothing while the machine boots up, the doctored BIOS does its thing,
> > and everybody's happy.  When you want to get at the stuff on the rest of
> > the HD, you reboot and type in your passphrase.
>
> How do you propose to prompt the user for the correct time to type?

Perhaps the new BIOS program listens for something like Ctrl-Shift-P,
and if it gets it, goes into passphrase mode.  Otherwise, it does its
little trick.  As long as the doctored BIOS program produces a normal
looking bootup sequence (but hides the HD), everything's fine.

Thread