1998-09-26 - Re: [salman rushdie]

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart@pobox.com>
To: NMIR <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 63b2086a43979763aa7904906354a89d7eca85a21d1ea5fd5b63231f00f02e14
Message ID: <3.0.5.32.19980926215457.00ad1510@idiom.com>
Reply To: <19980925192238.27047.qmail@www0n.netaddress.usa.net>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-26 15:56:49 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 23:56:49 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 23:56:49 +0800
To: NMIR <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: [salman rushdie]

At 08:22 PM 9/25/98 BST, NMIR wrote:
>Does anyone have any idea what this guy is on about?.
If you mean "Why does Bill P rant like that", not my problem.

But if you mean "Is the Fatwa against Salman Rushdie over?",
the news has been that the Iranian government has decided
to drop their ~$2M reward for killing him.  That doesn't mean
all of the mullahs have stopped calling for Muslims to
kill him for blasphemy.  But at least the government has
decided good relationships with the Brits are more important
than keeping their more fanatical fanatics happy.
Rushdie was quoted in the press as being very relieved.

If there's cypherpunks relevance to this, it's that cryptographic
privacy and digital cash payments make it easier to publish
controversial material without the threat of violence against you.

		Bill Stewart

>---
>ABQ J 9/24/98
>Iran May Withdraw
>Writer's Death Threat
>
>LONDON - Author Salman
>Rushdie met with British Foreign
>Office officials Wednesday amid
>reports Iran is preparing to
>withdraw the threat on his life.
>The late Ayatollah Ruhollah
>Khomeini pronounced a "fatwa," death sentence,
>against Rushdie in
>1989 after the publication of his
>book "Satanic Verses," which many
>Muslims deemed blasphemous.