1998-09-25 - Re: IP: Funny Money: New $20 FRNs are here

Header Data

From: pnet@proliberty.com
To: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 6859cfd1be4a973014869b6ab12b0082484ada45e70565f1ead2340c804410f2
Message ID: <v02140b01b2308b890230@[208.25.61.131]>
Raw Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:20:07 +0800

Raw message

From: pnet@proliberty.com
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 17:20:07 +0800
To: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: IP: Funny Money: New $20 FRNs are here

Excerpt from the following:
>It also incorporates several
>>security features that have proved effective against would-be
>>counterfeiters: a watermark; enhanced security thread;

Of course no mention is made here of the enhanced ability for goons to
steal your money.

It has been reported that these 'security threads' enable detection
equipment at airports to measure, or estimate, the amount of cash a person
is carrying. This further enables seizures which are now taking place in
the proximity of US borders, with the excuse that the carrier of the cash
could be 'intended' to cross a border, without filing a customs report.
Mere possesion of 'large' amounts of cash, in the proximity of a US border,
is coming to be considered 'prima facie' evidence of 'money-laundering'.

See previous message:
>Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 08:32:43 -0400
>To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
>From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
>Subject: IP: Tougher laws are sought to seize cash

If I had been smart enough to see this coming when they came out with the
new security threads in $100 bills, I never would have traded the old ones
in.

Of course, carrying gold or silver will set off the metal detectors too.

I wonder if diamonds show up on the scanners?

- Tom Paine