1998-09-17 - Re: Larry Gilbert, AOLers, and the Hyper-real flamer

Header Data

From: Michael Hohensee <mah248@nyu.edu>
To: AIMSX@aol.com
Message Hash: 72178e557d4455cb737aa547030c01d31f788d033aff03bf16037d4ca39c8757
Message ID: <36014AD4.11C504D0@nyu.edu>
Reply To: <5e38fbca.36006a19@aol.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-17 04:53:04 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:53:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Michael Hohensee <mah248@nyu.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:53:04 +0800
To: AIMSX@aol.com
Subject: Re: Larry Gilbert, AOLers, and the Hyper-real flamer

This still doesn't explain why you think you need 100 accounts on the
same ISP.  All an account is is a login/password pair.  wtf do you use
100 *different* accounts for?  Email bombing?  Some kinda sick means of
avoiding spam mail from posting on Usenet? *rototflmao*

I suppose that if your ISP has 100 computers on its internal network,
and your login works on each one of them, you could say, technically,
that you have 100 accounts.  Of course, since your ISP is probably
running Solaris, that's a somewhat silly thing to say, as it is likely
that the /etc/passwd (or equivalent) file is NFS mounted over the whole
network, and your home directories are almost certainly NFS mounted from
a constant HD (located somewhere in the depths of the network), from
machine to machine.

Hell, I worked at Sun over the summer.  *I* had an account there, and
could login to any of the several hundred machines we had on our subnet
of SWAN.  Does that mean that I should go around saying "Yeah, I have
like, 500 shell accounts where *I* work, which proves I'm a VSC (Very
Smart Cookie), or at least not an AOLuser" *lol*

Get over it kid, you've either got a single account, which exists on a
bunch of different machines, or your ISP is even more retarded than AOL.
:)

AIMSX@aol.com wrote:

> Hmm... have you ever thought... that my mother may not exactly love the
> idea
> of me having access to other people's accounts... so I need to do what she
> DOES condone?  You just don't seem to be using your brain.
>
> >Some of them have over 100 accounts on the same ISP, and are
> >truly so full of shit, that they're swimming in it.  Kid, by bullshiting,
> >all
> >you're doing is enforcing the view that AOL users are really AOLusers.

Thread