1998-09-29 - Re: Meriweather v. Gates

Header Data

From: Information Security <guy@panix.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 780c4299c4fdc7d72bb21bde9b0e7f0f2d53f4206e6291bc1af200cd98d96b7e
Message ID: <199809291521.LAA01780@panix7.panix.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:29:46 +0800

Raw message

From: Information Security <guy@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:29:46 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Meriweather v. Gates

   >   It's an ironic indication of where we are that Bill Gates is being hounded
   >   by the Justice Department, Sun Microsystems, Netscape, Novell, and Ralph
   >   Nader while no one is hounding John Meriwether. In fact, the Federal
   >   Reserve System, nominally nongovernmental (wink wink) just helped to bail
   >   out his firm, Long-Term Capital Management.
   >
   >   Gates, you see, has a non-leveraged investment of $50 billion in Microsoft.
   >   No borrowing, no margin debt, just plain old-fashioned ownership.

And a monopoly that doesn't need a bailout.

   >   Meriwether, on the other hand, started in 1991 and took in money from
   >   speculators. He took the $2.2 billion and borrowed with it, hitting the
   >   $125 B in borrowed assets point. Then he and his rocket scientists
   >   essentially borrowed still more, using this $125 B to leverage $1.25 T. (T
   >   for "trillion.")
   >
   >   Not  bad, going from $2.2 B to $1.25 T, a mere 500-fold increase.

Sheer unmitigated greed on the part of the banks, not knowing or
forcing Meriwether to tell them.

Over leveraging is what caused the Great Depression via the stock market collapse.
---guy

   Gosh, thank goodness they are loosening the bank/brokerage rules...not.

Thread