1998-09-23 - From Spyking: DNA Technology

Header Data

From: “Albert P. Franco, II” <apf2@ctv.es>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 961bc459dbaebf79ab536abec6865dc6c47aae66f4004fd8b7a963270acdde2a
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19980925043213.006a2374@pop.ctv.es>
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 21:35:23 +0800

Raw message

From: "Albert P. Franco, II" <apf2@ctv.es>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 21:35:23 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: From Spyking: DNA Technology

>Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:26:47 -0400
>From: Sunder <sunder@brainlink.com>

>5) From: "Timothy Robarts" <t.robarts@btinternet.com>
>Subject: DNA Technology
>
>London 16/09/98
>
>September 16 1998
>
>Police Superintendents' Conference: Stewart Tendler on how science is
catching
>up with the criminal.
>
>Dr Sullivan, who worked on the identification of the remains of the last
Tsar,
>Nicholas II, said that the breakthrough in taking DNA samples from dandruff
>would allow investigators to take material from the tiny particles of human
>skin that are found at every scene. He said: "People are constantly shedding
>skin cells. The majority of household dust is made up of dead skin and we
know
>we can get DNA from an individual skin cell."

If human skin cells comprise the majority of household dust, and dust can
so easily move from place to place, then how will they defend against the
claim that the suspect passed near by (five blocks away) six months ago and
the dust must have slowly made it's way to the crime scene...

Don't answer...I know...truth is not the objective, rather conviction of
the target. Now they'll have the tools to do it. The same cop investigating
your car this month could inadvertently (or not) deposit a few traces of
your skin dust at the scene of a crime next month. They keep getting
scarier all the time!

Al Franco, II

Thread