1998-09-27 - Re:

Header Data

From: Anonymous <nobody@nowhere.to>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 9c1d0321e7502727e70b26603e45bd0713bdefb5af8d7b680a65d3ee12db3d82
Message ID: <8b290243deab0d40b2006a5aaf21f9e9@anonymous>
Raw Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 14:53:15 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <nobody@nowhere.to>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 14:53:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re:

On 27 Sep 1998, Anonymous wrote:

> Paul is coming from AOL using Netscape as a mailer and using the
> open relay at cesvxa.ces.edu.

He's admitted this at least once in a sidebar on a message, as I seem to
recall, so it's nothing new. It does go to show conflict of interest, and
it could be claimed that he's trying to make himself feel better, I
suppose.

Looking back, he's used AOL for most of his postings, except for one I
came across which apparently came from an admin machine at ces.edu, so he
isn't exploiting some random open relay somewhere. Generally they all
route through ces.edu.

I can't speak for Paul, but I figure that he's probably doing what he once
said that he is, and using a modem link to AOL, using AOL for a routing
service, then routing mail through the relay at CES. I don't know why
someone would want to do that if they're sitting on a university network,
but it doesn't matter much.

I just checked: the relay does appear to be an open relay. I just hope
spammers don't wind up finding out which, of course, they probably will
after that post.

Can we have some signal somewhere, please?

Thread