1998-09-09 - Re: Citizenship silliness. Re: e$: crypto-expatriatism (fwd)

Header Data

From: “Raymond D. Mereniuk” <Raymond@fbn.bc.ca>
To: Petro <whgiii@invweb.net>
Message Hash: b0489b5ec47379c77d2732681c2c2e69f28a1ff59910765889aa88e2e3890312
Message ID: <199809100350.UAA17882@leroy.fbn.bc.ca>
Reply To: <199809092123.OAA17355@leroy.fbn.bc.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-09 14:35:49 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:35:49 +0800

Raw message

From: "Raymond D. Mereniuk" <Raymond@fbn.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:35:49 +0800
To: Petro <whgiii@invweb.net>
Subject: Re: Citizenship silliness.  Re: e$: crypto-expatriatism (fwd)

Petro <petro@playboy.com> wrote

"William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@invweb.net> wrote

>Most of these countries are economically "one trick ponies" and
>have little export revenue outside of oil. Because OPEC <sp?> has
>been a failure at enforcing production quotas there is a surplus of
>oil on the market thus driving down the cost (supply and demand).

As William stated most of the OPEC nations are economic "one trick
ponies" whose leaders don't see the big picture and the benefits of a
cartel where all members co-operate.  Israel was part of the
justification for screwing the world for more money in the so called
70s oil crisis.  I would think that if the Arabs didn't have Israel to hate
they would find some other group.

If you go back to the late 40s you will find many political deals done
by the British which didn't make a lot of sense.  The British walking
out of Burma and turning political control over to whoever the goofs
are that ruined that country made no sense whatsoever.  The British
turned political control of Malaysia over to the ethnic Malays where
the Malays are not the original people of that region.  The Malays
were immigrants much like most of the Chinese, they just got there
300 years earlier.

Falling oil prices probably hurt the USA and Soviet governments
more than any possible benefit.  The Soviets export oil so they are
hurting.  The US and most other western style democracies tax oil
products based on its wholesale cost and retail selling pricing so
they would see reduced revenues.

>There are also large reserves of oil in Alaska, Siberia and
>elsewhere that are going unused along with other reserves that are
>too expensive to extract the oil at current market prices. The so
>called "oil shortage" of the 70's had more to do with Oil Companies
>profiteering than it did with any actual shortage. I have seen
>estimates in the past of our domestic oil reserves showing that we
>have enough oil to last another 100 years at out current rate of
>increased consumption if we stopped all imports today. Simple
>economics is that it is cheaper for us to import it than it is to
>produce it domestically.

You can add possible large reserves in the Canadian Arctic.  The oil
companies started to find it and they tried to think of a way to
transport it.  The Canadian gov't vetoed all the transportation
alternatives so the oil companies stopped exploration.

The middle east countries do have the oil reserves with the lowest
cost of production.  Most reserves in North American are moderate
to high cost of production.

Now if you want to be paranoid....   Before the 70s energy crisis we
all drove big cars which had no problem doing the 65 MPH speed
limit and back then we used to pass on two-lane highways.  The
energy crisis came and we all accepted gutless foreign made small
cars which consumed less energy and had a problem with the 55
MPH speed limit and passing was impossible on a two-lane highway
even if we found a section which was not double-lined.

Now we have cheap oil.  Big powerful vehicles are back and we are
not embarrassed to consume energy any more.  I have no idea
where society is heading but I do like have a more powerful vehicle
which capable of passing a vehicle already doing 65 MPH.

>As much as the Greens whine and cry about alternative fuels, the
>simple fact is that as long as oil is cheap no one is going to switch.

The whole Greens or tree-hugger thing is a bit hypocritical.  Ask
them if they have electrical appliances in their home and the answer
is always yes.  For a number of years the Greenpeace fundraisers
would show up at the door asking for money to battle the forest
industry and the evil pulp mills which used chlorine in their bleaching
process and they would have white paper in their clipboards.

Virtually

Raymond D. Mereniuk
Raymond@fbn.bc.ca

Thread