1998-09-19 - IP: ID proposal raises privacy concerns

Header Data

From: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: cc7678f8693df79287830494b75d61a5688279b64d1b23807660f3a290b77d97
Message ID: <199809191929.MAA03100@netcom13.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 14:28:12 +0800

Raw message

From: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 14:28:12 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: IP: ID proposal raises privacy concerns

From: believer@telepath.com
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 17:30:47 -0500
To: believer@telepath.com

Source:  Fox News - AP

ID proposal raises privacy concerns
 2.15 p.m. ET (1816 GMT) September 17, 1998

 WASHINGTON (AP) - Lawmakers raised loss-of-privacy objections Thursday to
a proposal that would use Social Security numbers to help curb the number
of illegal immigrants who unlawfully get government benefits.

 The proposal by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration would
require federal agencies to accept, as proof of identity, a driver's
license that conforms to certain standards. A Social Security number would
be among the requirements.

 Rep. David McIntosh, R-Ind., said the measure "appears to create a de
facto national ID card'' for all Americans.

 "With a Social Security number, anyone can find out almost anything about
an individual on the Internet, including where he or she lives,'' said
McIntosh, who chairs the House Government Reform and Oversight's
subcommittee on national economic growth. "This technology gives stalkers
and abusers easy access to their victims.''

 During a committee hearing on the proposal, Celene Cross described how
someone fraudulently used her name and Social Security number to obtain
credit cards and rack up more than $17,000 in charges. Cross said she has
spent three years trying to clear her credit history but problems continue
to arise, and "I have just quit applying for credit altogether.''

 Marvin Young, another panel witness, told lawmakers how a former roommate
used his Social Security number to assume his identity and open more than
40 charge cards.

 "I've worked hard and never made a late payment in my life, but this other
guy has just messed up everything for me,'' Young said.

 In a statement submitted to the committee, the National Highway Traffic
Safety Administration said its proposal is intended to "prevent the use of
state driver's licenses and other identification documents by illegal
immigrants seeking to obtain benefits under federal programs.''

                  (c) 1998 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and
educational purposes only. For more information go to:
with the message:
     (un)subscribe ignition-point email@address
www.telepath.com/believer